Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pepper flash in chromium freezes when I change resolution setting in youtube

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Question pepper flash in chromium freezes when I change resolution setting in youtube

I recently installed pepper flash for chromium:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:skunk/pepper-flash
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install pepflashplugin-installer
    Then add this last line to /etc/chromium-browser/default
    # Default settings for chromium-browser. This file is sourced by /bin/sh from
    # /usr/bin/chromium-browser

# Options to pass to chromium-browser
    CHROMIUM_FLAGS=""
    . /usr/lib/pepflashplugin-installer/pepflashplayer.sh
    Intermittently youtube videos:
    a) load properly as usual
    or b) load and play but if resolution setting is changed, video pauses and goes black, play button doesn't respond.
    also I can tell when this will happen by going full screen: the navigation bar is not scaled properly. it is a blown up version of the small screen version (as if you took a screenshot of the small video version in youtube and zoomed it to fullscreen

I do have html5 enabled so maybe the intermittence is just that a) is html5 and b) is flash videos

Anyone know how this can be fixed? and as an aside, how do you know what format a youtube video is?

Beans
    Distro

Re: pepper flash in chromium freezes when I change resolution setting in youtube

I've been trying to search for a solution to this and I wanted to start with knowing whether html5 or flash were involved.

It turns out to be a diffucult question to coin in search terms. "how to know if a youtube video is playing with flash or html5 player"
    most results are on how to upload or a rundown of what formats youtube offers.

this discussion

is the closest I came to

Can anyone offer any help on this issue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: pepper flash in chromium freezes when I change resolution setting in youtube

Quote Originally Posted by finny388 View Post
    I've been trying to search for a solution to this and I wanted to start with knowing whether html5 or flash were involved.

It turns out to be a diffucult question to coin in search terms. "how to know if a youtube video is playing with flash or html5 player"
    most results are on how to upload or a rundown of what formats youtube offers.

this discussion

is the closest I came to

Can anyone offer any help on this issue?
    I can only offer a bit of back door advice, I don't have a plug and play solution for you. I use Chrome to gain access to Pepperflash. When I check "about : plugins", there are two instances of flash, pepper, and the Linux version that is installed with the restricted packages. I once read, moons ago, a recommendation to disable the Linux version (currently 11.2 something), and use just pepper, because of random freezes possibly caused by having both enabled at the same time. I can't seem to find the article that I read back then, that offered the solution, but hopefully, there is something in my response that will head you off in the right direction to solve your problem.

Edit:

Had to change "about : plugins" to read like this. If you type it normally, it ends up looking like this:

aboutlugins

LOL
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; February 18th, 2014 at 09:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks OrangeCrate

In chromium
    I saw in chrome : plugins after clicking on Details that there are two enabled versions.
    I disabled 11.2 and tested a youtube video, same problems.

I copied that url, opened chrome, pasted it in and it worked fine.
    chrome has the same two flash files and both are enabled
    But then I opened another video and the problem returned

So then I tried disabling v12. These results are also hit and miss but the navigation bar scales properly (but the video still freezes to black when res is changed)

So at least two things are clear: it is not dependent on the source video and it happens in chrome or chromium

Beans
    Distro

Here is my plugin page flash contents. is it identical to yours? is the same file in the same location? (under Location: )
    Adobe Flash Player (2 files) - Version: 12.0.0.44
    Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0
    Name: Shockwave Flash
    Description: Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0
    Version: 12.0.0.44
    Location: /usr/lib/pepflashplugin-installer/libpepflashplayer.so
    Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
    Disable
    MIME types:
    MIME type Description File extensions
    application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
    .swf
    application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player
    .spl
    Name: Shockwave Flash
    Version: 11.2 r202
    Type: NPAPI
    Disable
    MIME types:
    MIME type Description File extensions
    application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
    .swf
    application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player
    .spl

Beans

Well do you experience freezing with flash 11.2 and Firefox? Do you have hardware acceleration forcibly enabled in Chromium(check about:gpu)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by finny388 View Post
    Here is my plugin page flash contents. is it identical to yours? is the same file in the same location? (under Location: )
    It's the same. I'm not having a problem watching videos on YouTube, with the setup I described. All the features are working correctly. Currently this computer has Ubuntu 13.10, but, it has had Xubuntu 13.10 on it in the recent past, and I don't remember there being a problem with that install either. I have not attempted to install pepper flash on Chromium. If I were experiencing the same problems as you are, I'd probably just go with a standard Chrome or Chromium install, and forget about trying to add pepper flash to Chromium. As said earlier, I'm sorry I don't have a ready solution for you.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; February 19th, 2014 at 11:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I tried creating
    /etc/adobe/mms.cfg and put this in it:

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
    but that didn't change anything

chrome://gpu shows:
    Graphics Feature Status
    Canvas: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
    3D CSS: Hardware accelerated
    Compositing: Hardware accelerated
    CSS Animation: Accelerated
    Flash 3D: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable
    Flash Stage3D: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable
    Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable
    WebGL multisampling: Hardware accelerated
    Texture Sharing: Hardware accelerated
    Video: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
    Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
    WebGL: Hardware accelerated
    Yes, this was working before. Not sure exactly what flash version it was. How do I try different versions? Go into synaptic and install/uninstall from there?

Beans
    Distro

I remembered I had 11.2 installed before

with 11.2 enabled the navigation bars scale properly
    with v 12 enabled the navigation bars don't
    but in either case the screen goes black and stops playing when resolution is changed.

So I'm stuck watching youtube in 360p. It is depressing

Beans

It has to do with your graphic driver.
    Try this:
    Go to about://flags and enable "override software rendering list" (the first item) then restart the browser.
    You can try different versions of flash in aboutlugins, click show details and scroll down to adobe flash player, it will show two versions of flash (11.2 and pepper), disable pepper flash.

P.S. I think the mms.cfg thing only works on system flash (11.2) and when it works it apparently only works on Youtube. I don't know about Chromium but in Chrome pepper flash is accelerated and it is controlled by browser settings (not sure if flash acceleration is Youtube only, haven't checked, I mostly use FF)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 1st, 2014 at 08:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast