Thread: HOWTO: Cast/Stream local media on chromecast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HOWTO: Cast/Stream local media on chromecast

With Google releasing the Chromecast SDK I finally ordered one and sat down to solve the primary desire for such a device: streaming local content from your computer (running Ubuntu) to the Chromecast to play it on your TV. Starting with this sample project that Google kindly provided for developers I was able to create a python application that reads files from a specified folder and then creates a website (served by uwsgi and nginx) that can be used to select media and then cast/stream it to the Chromecast. I was able to get high quality content playing perfectly over the WiFi at approximately 650 kbps.

Note:

This solution does NOT require any hacking of the Chromecast, writing a new Chromecast application (it uses the default media receiver) or registering anything with the Google backend.

I have only been able to get mp3 and mp4 files to play. Specifically avi files do not play, probably because no browser supports avi in HTML5 video tags.

Summary:

In Ubuntu simply clone the project and use the Makefile to install and deploy the solution:

Code:
    git clone git@github.com:abid-mujtaba/local-chromecast.git
    cd local-chromecast
    sudo make install
    sudo make start
    and then to open the website navigate to http://localhost:3435 or simply issue make run.

Details:

I started with the sample Google project which had all the required functionality built in. It had a list of urls hard-coded in to the javascript which it could cast to the Chromecast. The Chromecast would then use the urls to display the media. The computer works only as a remote control of sorts in this situation. To cast local content I needed to set up a server from which the Chromecast could stream the media. Solution: nginx.

I decided that a sub-folder (/media) will contain all the media files one wants to cast (ideally symlinks to the media files). These are made available as static files via nginx. The Google sample code is a website. Since I needed to dynamically read the content of the media sub-folder and place it both in the website html and the javascript that does the actual business of sending media information to the Chromecast I chose python and uwsgi.

I modified the sample index.html to become a Jinja2 template and I wrote a simple python application script (intended to be served by uwsgi) to read the media sub-folder and use the Jinja2 template to place the media information in both the html and script sections. A socket is used to wrap nginx around the uwsgi and voila the pieces all come together.

Finally I wrote a makefile to automate the process of installing, configuring and deploying the servers (nginx and uwsgi) making it (pun intended) a relatively painless process to deploy.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Cast/Stream local media on chromecast

Interesting... But when I try to clone the project, github returns a "permission denied". Did you remove the files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No the files are still there. The "permission denied" probably means you don't have an SSH key registered with github. You can use the https link instead:

Code:
    git clone https://github.com/abid-mujtaba/local-chromecast.git

Beans

Thanks for providing this solution. I installed the application as proposed but I receive the following error message:

pip install Jinja2
    make: pip: Kommando nicht gefunden
    make: *** [install] Fehler 127

i.e. command not found
    error 127

Any ideas?

--> problem solved. Proper installation of pip helped.

----

Kubuntu 13.10
    64 bit
    Last edited by Lechasseur; March 26th, 2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Problem solved

Beans

Hello and "Thank You" for this little app. I have loaded it in Ubuntu 14.04 and it is working fine. I did have to load pip - but that was it and it then installed without a hitch. Remember readers that you have to link or put the media files in the directory that it tells you once you have it up in running. Great Job - hope there are improvements - like recursive folder reading. Thanks!