Thread: Move evolution database from /dev/sda6 (Ubuntu) to /dev/sda3 (data files)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Move evolution database from /dev/sda6 (Ubuntu) to /dev/sda3 (data files)

I want to move the database files that go with evolution e-mail (> 5 GB) to a partition with my data files and much more room. How do I do this? Documentation for evolution apparently does not cover this (or I missed something). I have heard of just moving the /.evolution/ folder and subfolders, but that doesn't seem right.

Thank you,

John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Move evolution database from /dev/sda6 (Ubuntu) to /dev/sda3 (data files)

I do similar with xchat and a couple of other apps. I use symlinks here.

I'd backup the current .evolution files first however you want to - I'd just rename the folder evolution if you back it up to the same place you want to move to.

Then

Code:
    ln -s /path/to/datapartition/.evolution  /home/user/.evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you for your suggestion. I setup the sym link: /media/MyChemistry/evolution /home/john/.local/share/evolution. The terminal output appeared to show the results of the link, but it didn't work (imported new folder into the evolution under /home/john/.local/share/ not the one I wanted. Here is some terminal output (note the first link shown does work):

john@john-Vostro-3500:~$ realpath /home/john/Documents/mydocuments
    /media/MyDocuments
    john@john-Vostro-3500:~$ realpath /home/john/.local/share/evolution
    /home/john/.local/share/evolution
    john@john-Vostro-3500:~$ realpath /media/MyChemistry/evolution
    /media/MyChemistry/evolution

Where did I go wrong. I want to put all datafiles for evolution under /media/MyChemistry/evolution and then delete the datafiles under /home/john/.local/share/evolution

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Apparently, someting else is going on. After I made another attempt by moving the evolution directory to the other partition, I found the InBox had gotten lost. I needed to restore evolution from the backup I made ealier today. The restore put everything back in my home directory.

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

In relation to the discussion in this thread.

My Evolution folders are beginning to feel a bit heavy so I want to backup Evolution but do not wish to use the File -> Back Up Evolution Data feature because it creates one giant file and only allows for complete restore. I want to restore folder by folder as needed (e.g. Inbox, Sent, etc.). What exactly do I have copy/backup and what shall I do when restoring of a particular file is needed?

Thanks for any help.