Thread: Unwanted Unity stuff launching in XFCE

Beans

Unwanted Unity stuff launching in XFCE

Hello,

I installed UbuntuStudio (which uses XFCE), switched to Unity for a while, and then switched back to XFCE. The trouble is that I still have Unity things launching with my XFCE session, such as Evolution services and a couple of panel applets (Wanda the Fish and a clipboard tool). There were other things as well which I found launchers for in ~/.config/autostart, but for Evolution etc I can't find a launcher anywhere which I can disable. How do I stop these things loading?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unwanted Unity stuff launching in XFCE

All three items you listed are gnome thingies, and have nothing to do with unity at all.
    But if the evolution one says evolution-data-server, then that's what unity used for it's calendar in the panel.
    But it isn't really evolution though.

Anyway, if it is that package, then that's what you should look for if you want to remove it.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

And while trying to remove anything please be alert to what else can be removed.

If you don't mind the command-line, always run apt-get purge -s package_name first where "-s" means you're just doing a simulation. Examine the proposals. Ask for help if you aren't sure of the output.

BTW, you could use remove instead of purge but purge is more thorough because it deletes system-wide config files. In both cases, you're in charge of keeping your home folder clean. Purge won't delete config files from your home folder.

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to disable this stuff without uninstalling it? That way I won't get my packages in a mess and the stuff will be available should I want to use Unity again. I mean if the stuff gets started when my XFCE session starts then there must be an instruction somewhere specifying this. If it's not in ~/.config/autostart then it must be somewhere else.

Beans

Is there a way to disable this stuff without uninstalling it?
    Try:

Settings > Session and Startup > Application Autostart

Maybe you will find them in there.

Reference System: Xubuntu 12.10

Beans

Thank you! You are right. I'd actually looked for session and startup more than once before in the settings manager but I simply didn't see it because it was where I thought it would be. But this time I have found it and it does have all the controls there that I was looking for.

Beans

Make sure XFCE is set as your default windows manager . I think you can remove unity , that is if you do not use it anymore .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mintfan7200 View Post
    Make sure XFCE is set as your default windows manager . I think you can remove unity , that is if you do not use it anymore .
    Do some research on removing Unity to see if it is worth the risk of losing the other core components it will take with it.