Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX302)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX302)

Quote Originally Posted by motley-slate View Post
    Hi SgtMunky, yes new hw can be a PIA! For best support with this laptop, you should run the latest 3.14 mainline kernel that provides the best up to date i915/DRM haswell gpu support (see ego-sum-deus's posts above for the recommended kernel deb to install for Ubuntu). Many of these commits are making it into stable 3.13.6 as well, but I have not spent time testing 3.13 over the last few releases, so I am not sure how it compares.

As far as the Intel drivers, they should just work. Kernel module i915 should be loaded automatically and the mesa/intel DRI drivers stack should just work. However, I am not sure what versions of mesa Ubuntu/Debian allow you to use. With Arch (Antergos), I am running mainline kernel 3.14 rc6 with mesa/intel dri 10.1.0-2. 3D support and compositing work great. A simple glxgears test yields a consistent 60 FPS and I get about 18,000 in the Octane benchmark in Chrome. That said, I have not done any intensive gaming or other benchmarking. For my needs, I am happy and the machine is stable.

From what I have read, ILO Gallium3D is still experimental, doesn't have the full feature set, and will be outperformed by the classic Intel Mesa driver in most cases.

For full backlight support, you will need kernel boot cmdline parameter "acpi_osi=" (no value is correct).

Hope this helps.
    I've tried a lot of different boot params but the only one that does work is the "nomodeset" command, I'll keep fiddling around with that mess.

I too am not particularly worried about gaming, but being able to use multiple monitors would be nice considering the kind of work I do. Some Mindcraft wouldn't hurt either (haven't tried that yet actually). Are the 3.14 releases stable for the most part? This machine is one I use to work from home (which is where I primarily work) so I do need it to work fully.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMunky View Post
    I've tried a lot of different boot params but the only one that does work is the "nomodeset" command, I'll keep fiddling around with that mess.

I too am not particularly worried about gaming, but being able to use multiple monitors would be nice considering the kind of work I do. Some Mindcraft wouldn't hurt either (haven't tried that yet actually). Are the 3.14 releases stable for the most part? This machine is one I use to work from home (which is where I primarily work) so I do need it to work fully.
    The 3.14 release candidates have been very stable for me, I am currently on the latest rc6. The only reason I use mainline (plus adding the patch to get suspend to work) is because it is more stable and the hardware works better than with any of the the stable release kernels I have tried. Haswell is still young on Linux, especially the integrated GPU drivers. This is why the 3.14 rc is necessary in my opinion. I recently tried my Ethernet dongle and it works right out of the box. I have all function keys etc. working in XFCE, brightness/keyboard backlight/suspend/volume etc. The only thing I know isn't working is the SDCard slot. My best Octane score in Chrome with 512MB video RAM allocated is 18,585. I was getting right around 18,000 with 128MB allocated. My son can play Minecraft easily using OpenJDK 1.7, so that won't be a problem. So yes, I would call this complete and stable. It is a country mile from where I was when I first installed a couple distros to do some testing.

I don't see anything for drm/i915 staged in master for 3.14 rc7 yet. We'll have to see if they merge more stuff this weekend before the deadline.

Beans

Updates:

1) I upped my mainline kernel install script to 3.14 rc7. Everything is still working fine. There were not any changes to Intel i915/drm in rc7, so the QUIRK_IGNORE_BPP_CLAMPING patch is still required for successful resume.

https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_asus_ux302

2) They still are not comfortable with the patch for the kernel that causes us to use "acpi_osi=" to allow the function keys to work. Last comment: "The patch is deemed too hacky and will not make it into mainline I'm afraid. It's not clear why firmware would declare 16 output devices while the SPEC only allow 8. I don't see how we can proceed here, I suppose you will have to continue to use acpi_osi= cmdline option for the time being unless we found something new later."

Bug report:
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=70241

The aforementioned "hacky" workaround patch is here for those interested. I don't apply in my kernel, I just use "acpi_osi="
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachme...71&action=diff

Last edited by motley-slate; March 18th, 2014 at 06:07 PM.

Beans

Updated to mainline rc8 today. There were a couple i915/drm fixes, but things are still the same as far as the suspend/resume patch I need to apply and the silly empty value kernel command line parameter "acpi_osi=".

https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_...02/commits/all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've got the 3.14 kernel up and running finally. Fixed graphics driver issues, got some Kerbals Mun bound now that it can render things. I too need that 'acpi_osi=' boot param but in reality this is much easier an option than editing the kernel, at least with my 'meh' programming knowledge.

Beans

Good news for every one who has UX302 or linux laptop with Alcor Micro AU6601 SD controller. It's Alive!!!!

After some time of RE, i was able to reconstruct registers important for data transfer and make initial linux driver.

Beans

ASUS was and still is a great motherboard company. I still
    would build my own custom PCS with the same
    motherboards offered by ASUS.

When I used to run any flavor of Linux
    I used to do it on my custom PCS.

I recommend ASUS for any type of
    Linux OS installation; especially Ubuntu. Forget
    the cloud when it comes down to that.

ASUS Zenbook would be a great example
    of Ubuntu Installation.

Beans

No way to install 14.04 on my UX302LG
    I put an Crucial M500 in place of the original 750GB hard disk : I can show it in the 'BIOS' but it isn't recognize by Ubuntu. (The M500 is safe, and initialy installed in my old laptop with Ubuntu 13.10)
    Any idea ?
    Last edited by micucci; April 22nd, 2014 at 10:03 AM.

Beans

Now running 3.15 rc2. 'acpi_osi=' is still needed for screen brightness keys from userland. Lots of changes are still being merged upstream for the Intel DRM/i915 drivers. I no longer need the quirk_ignore_bpp_clamping patch to get suspend to work as I did in 3.14.0 stable, so this is good news. I am going to keep tracking 3.15 mainline to see how things go. A new release comes out every week or so.

https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_...93a4?at=master

Quote Originally Posted by bug-track View Post
    Good news for every one who has UX302 or linux laptop with Alcor Micro AU6601 SD controller. It's Alive!!!!

After some time of RE, i was able to reconstruct registers important for data transfer and make initial linux driver.
    Great work, thanks! I assume these are your changes here? http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mmc/msg25836.html
    I will merge with the testing kernel I build above and give it a try. Is there a git repo I can track for changes?

Beans

I put kernel 3.15rc3 (image and headers)
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...280035_all.deb
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...0035_amd64.deb

and make changes of Grub like explained by ego-sum-deus here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post12944072
    and everythings seems to work...
    Last edited by micucci; April 28th, 2014 at 07:43 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast