Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX302)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and the asus zenbook (UX302)

Quote Originally Posted by bug-track View Post
    Hi ego-sum-deus, thank you for your info.
    I had the same issue with the screen off/suspension not working, and ego-sum-deus' information helped mine too! Thanks ego!

Beans

I can confirm that the HDMI output does work with the kernel you link to.
    Hopefully all theis will be solved in 14.04

Beans

Hello, I just located this thread. When I first bought my UX302LA there wasn't any info to be found so I had to fix these things on my own. Glad to see others working on these Asus models now as well! Just wanted to share my journey. There are a few guys on the Arch forum working on this as well (link below). Over the past few weeks, I have been playing with and providing a custom kernel to fix the suspend/resume issue for the UX302LA and LG models to run Arch Linux (I run Antergos). I simply provide a script that downloads the latest mainline kernel from kernel.org (currently 3.14 rc5) and then it applies a patch originally created by Alberto Aguirre (https://launchpadlibrarian.net/16624...-blank-s.patch). I just had to tweak the patch to allow it to be applied to mainline since some of the Intel quirk patches either don't seem to make it in, or they are lagging behind for whatever reason.

I will be curious to study the
    drm-intel-nightly git repo for the kernel PPA you are using to see what is different from mainline. I am assuming the git is here: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~danvet/drm-intel

In case anyone is interested here are the links for the stuff I have been working on. For the most part, we are all stumbling upon the same solutions one way or another.
    https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_asus_ux302
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=177296&p=1

Cheers, glad to see we can enjoy these nice machines on Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by motley-slate View Post
    Hello, I just located this thread. When I first bought my UX302LA there wasn't any info to be found so I had to fix these things on my own. Glad to see others working on these Asus models now as well! Just wanted to share my journey. There are a few guys on the Arch forum working on this as well (link below). Over the past few weeks, I have been playing with and providing a custom kernel to fix the suspend/resume issue for the UX302LA and LG models to run Arch Linux (I run Antergos). I simply provide a script that downloads the latest mainline kernel from kernel.org (currently 3.14 rc5) and then it applies a patch originally created by Alberto Aguirre (https://launchpadlibrarian.net/16624...-blank-s.patch). I just had to tweak the patch to allow it to be applied to mainline since some of the Intel quirk patches either don't seem to make it in, or they are lagging behind for whatever reason.

I will be curious to study the
    drm-intel-nightly git repo for the kernel PPA you are using to see what is different from mainline. I am assuming the git is here: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~danvet/drm-intel

In case anyone is interested here are the links for the stuff I have been working on. For the most part, we are all stumbling upon the same solutions one way or another.
    https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_asus_ux302
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=177296&p=1

Cheers, glad to see we can enjoy these nice machines on Linux!

Awesome. I'm glad to see two different entities converging on what seems to be similar solutions. I haven't had any extended time to study the details of what the drm-intel kernel is providing that's not in the mainline, besides just generally keeping up with the changelog. I'm definitely thinking that the Intel quirks are what's causing all of these fixes to function properly though. Do you know if/when they're going to make it into the main kernel?

Also, FYI, the drm-intel-nightly is located here: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-intel (which is a slightly different link that you've provided...it's just been migrated away from the danvet).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ego-sum-deus View Post
    Awesome. I'm glad to see two different entities converging on what seems to be similar solutions. I haven't had any extended time to study the details of what the drm-intel kernel is providing that's not in the mainline, besides just generally keeping up with the changelog. I'm definitely thinking that the Intel quirks are what's causing all of these fixes to function properly though. Do you know if/when they're going to make it into the main kernel?

Also, FYI, the drm-intel-nightly is located here: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-intel (which is a slightly different link that you've provided...it's just been migrated away from the danvet).
    Thanks for clarifying the git repo being used. I do recall Daniel Vetter saying something about it being moved. I did a full source compare of the nightly intel-drm repo vs mainline rc5 for /drivers/gpu/drm/i915/* and there are still quite a few differences. Since the "suspend and then resume to black screen" is fixed in the nightly, I have verified that they have fixed it in a different manner than the ignore bpp clamping quirk patch I am using. The next next rc for mainline will include tag 'drm-intel-fixes-2014-03-04'. When mainline rc6 comes out, I will go back to testing without the extra patch to verify if it no longer needed for mainline. If not, then this is great news. There is so much rearrangement and activity going for i915. It is a bit scary for regression testing, but they are indeed on a worthy mission to make it better. This is exactly why I bought a machine for Linux that had pretty much everything Intel .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by motley-slate View Post
    Thanks for clarifying the git repo being used. I do recall Daniel Vetter saying something about it being moved. I did a full source compare of the nightly intel-drm repo vs mainline rc5 for /drivers/gpu/drm/i915/* and there are still quite a few differences. Since the "suspend and then resume to black screen" is fixed in the nightly, I have verified that they have fixed it in a different manner than the ignore bpp clamping quirk patch I am using. The next next rc for mainline will include tag 'drm-intel-fixes-2014-03-04'. When mainline rc6 comes out, I will go back to testing without the extra patch to verify if it no longer needed for mainline. If not, then this is great news. There is so much rearrangement and activity going for i915. It is a bit scary for regression testing, but they are indeed on a worthy mission to make it better. This is exactly why I bought a machine for Linux that had pretty much everything Intel .
    Awesome. Thanks for all the info motely, this has been great. rc6 just came out today, so I'll be testing on my end as well and post back later tonight with my findings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ego-sum-deus View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for all the info motely, this has been great. rc6 just came out today, so I'll be testing on my end as well and post back later tonight with my findings.
    Cool, I saw that as well. I kicked off an rc6 build before I left for work (without the suspend patch I was using). I'll give it a try later tonight when I return home.

Beans

Update: mainline 3.14 rc6 still requires the QUIRK_IGNORE_BPP_CLAMPING patch. Without the patch, the laptop still fails to come out of suspend mode. Applied the patch, built again, and now all is good. I am now getting a new error on boot related to backlight. It doesn't affect function, but it is interesting that it cropped up in rc6. I will investigate more when I have time.

I updated my script on bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/motley/kernel_...02/commits/all

And the journey continues!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have never had so many problems with a computer and a Linux install as with this one! Awesome computer but man this has turned into a pain. Has anyone here had issues with graphics drivers? I've install the intel ones but it won't pick them up, it still uses the gallium. This wouldn't bother me if the gallium driver actually did what I wanted it to do, like support video out port and backlight.

I'm trying out the 3.13 kernel here soon so I'll report if that helps out or not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMunky View Post
    I have never had so many problems with a computer and a Linux install as with this one! Awesome computer but man this has turned into a pain. Has anyone here had issues with graphics drivers? I've install the intel ones but it won't pick them up, it still uses the gallium. This wouldn't bother me if the gallium driver actually did what I wanted it to do, like support video out port and backlight.

I'm trying out the 3.13 kernel here soon so I'll report if that helps out or not.
    Hi SgtMunky, yes new hw can be a PIA! For best support with this laptop, you should run the latest 3.14 mainline kernel that provides the best up to date i915/DRM haswell gpu support (see ego-sum-deus's posts above for the recommended kernel deb to install for Ubuntu). Many of these commits are making it into stable 3.13.6 as well, but I have not spent time testing 3.13 over the last few releases, so I am not sure how it compares.

As far as the Intel drivers, they should just work. Kernel module i915 should be loaded automatically and the mesa/intel DRI drivers stack should just work. However, I am not sure what versions of mesa Ubuntu/Debian allow you to use. With Arch (Antergos), I am running mainline kernel 3.14 rc6 with mesa/intel dri 10.1.0-2. 3D support and compositing work great. A simple glxgears test yields a consistent 60 FPS and I get about 18,000 in the Octane benchmark in Chrome. That said, I have not done any intensive gaming or other benchmarking. For my needs, I am happy and the machine is stable.

From what I have read, ILO Gallium3D is still experimental, doesn't have the full feature set, and will be outperformed by the classic Intel Mesa driver in most cases.

For full backlight support, you will need kernel boot cmdline parameter "acpi_osi=" (no value is correct).

Hope this helps.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast