Thread: Steam/Ubuntu/Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cool Steam/Ubuntu/Windows

Hey guys. Quick question: I have steam installed on both my operating systems: windows 8.1 64 bit and ubuntu 13.10 64 bit and had downloaded a lot of games on my windows steam. Can i use those files in my ubuntu steam without having to download them all over again? Can I just copy them over and put them in a new folder in my ubuntu partition and get it work? I'll try it out later tonight and any help would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Steam/Ubuntu/Windows

If they're Windows files, you'd have to use Wine to install the Windows Steam client, the try copying over the Steam for Windows SteamApps/common folder to ~/.wine/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common folder, and they may or may not run under Wine. If a game you've purchased for Steam for Windows becomes available for Linux, it'll appear in your Linux Steam library.

Otherwise, you'll have to download the Linux Steam games over again.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Steam/Ubuntu/Windows

you can't use something compiled for one system on a totaly different system withouth some emulator or interface like wine.

just like you can't run windows games on andorid, iOS or mac you can't run windows games on linux. some may work through wine. so in order to run native linux steam games you need to redownload them.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup