Thread: Now I get syslog appearing on screen at startup and shutdown.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Now I get syslog appearing on screen at startup and shutdown.

I have a new computer which has the amd64 version of Ubuntu 12.04.3 installed. (Also has unity and unity2d removed and gnome-shell installed - I use Gnome Classic.)

Because of other problems, I have re-installed this Ubuntu, and because of advice received, I let Upgrade Manager upgrade the system.
    It upgraded 282 packages, including a new version of kernel & new grub and grub2 related packages.

Now what seems to be bits of syslog stream up my screen at startup (20-30 seconds) and at closedown (half a screenful).

This is unsightly and looks unprofessional.

Is it a bug? Should I report it somewhere?

Alternatively, is there a settings file or script I could edit in order to remove it?
    Last edited by desconocido; February 14th, 2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: spellin
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C50D laptop with 3.4 GB of RAM and (AMD E1-1200 APU @ 1.4 GHz with Radeon HD Graphics) x 2 processor; Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin), Kernel Linux 3.8.0-36-generic. (older posts refer to 8.04 or 9.10 on other hardware).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Now I get syslog appearing on screen at startup and shutdown.

It is a known visual bug, related to the proprietary AMD/Nvidia drivers. No point reporting it, just "me too" it, if you want to.
    You could try this http://randomandlinux.blogspot.co.il...nstalling.html.

PS: ...don't think anything needs editing in order to remove it, what ever that means.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    It is a known visual bug, related to the proprietary AMD/Nvidia drivers. No point reporting it, just "me too" it, if you want to.
    You could try this http://randomandlinux.blogspot.co.il...nstalling.html.
    Thanks, my graphics hardware is described as "(AMD E1-1200 APU @ 1.4 GHz with Radeon HD Graphics)" so I am not sure that it's the same as AMD/Nvidia.
    I have just tried installing
    Code:
    System Settings -> Additional drivers
     ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX grapgics driver (**experimental**beta)
     Video driver for the AMD Radeon and FireGL graphics accelerators.
     This package provides 2D display drivers and hardware accelerated OpenGL.
    but with no improvement.

I'll search in that url you quote a bit more tomorrow.

It's worth noting that the first time I installed Ubuntu, I didn't have the problem, only after the re-install.

PS: ...don't think anything needs editing in order to remove it, what ever that means.
    By "it", I meant the phenomenon of syslog data appearing on my screen. A lot of the stuff in that url you quote involves things like editing /etc/default/grub. Thanks.
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C50D laptop with 3.4 GB of RAM and (AMD E1-1200 APU @ 1.4 GHz with Radeon HD Graphics) x 2 processor; Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin), Kernel Linux 3.8.0-36-generic. (older posts refer to 8.04 or 9.10 on other hardware).

Beans
    Distro

More info: the graphics card is decribed as "AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So, you do have an AMD GPU, and do use a proprietary AMD driver. The solution I posted is from May 2013, and has been reported (see the comments) to work for Ubuntu 13.04.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    So, you do have an AMD GPU, and do use a proprietary AMD driver.
    Thanks for that. I hadn't realized that Radeon was the same as Nvidia.

I tried the method you mentioned. I had difficulty getting to the grub menu. Neither SHIFT nor F8 while booting worked, but ESC did. However trying vmeinfo at the grub> prompt gave me
    Code:
    error: unknown command `vmeinfo'.
    and help gave me
    Code:
    error: secure Boot forbids loading module from (hd0,gpt2)/boot/grub/help.mod
    (and in fact there isn't a vmeinfo.mod file in /boot/grub)

So I had to try and guess the screen resolutions that would be acceptable. My maximum
    Code:
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1366x768-32
    didn't work and nor did my minimum
    Code:
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=800x600-32
    Your reference says "P.S.: If this didn't work for you, try this method." with a link to http://www.randomlinuxstuff.tk/2013/...-plymouth.html So I tried that.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install v86d
    in /etc/default/grub change
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset"
    to
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset quiet splash nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=800x600-32,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap"
    and add
    Code:
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=800x600-32
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    This worked. Thanks.

I might try higher resolutions, but it actually looks fine as it is.

I have just realised that I omitted steps 8 and 9 of this second method. However [shrug].

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by desconocido View Post
    Thanks for that. I hadn't realized that Radeon was the same as Nvidia.

I tried the method you mentioned. I had difficulty getting to the grub menu. Neither SHIFT nor F8 while booting worked, but ESC did. However trying vmeinfo at the grub> prompt gave me
    Code:
    error: unknown command `vmeinfo'.
    and help gave me
    Code:
    error: secure Boot forbids loading module from (hd0,gpt2)/boot/grub/help.mod
    (and in fact there isn't a vmeinfo.mod file in /boot/grub)
    That's vbeinfo, not vmeinfo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tamulionis View Post
    That's vbeinfo, not vmeinfo
    Thanks for the correction, although actually I get the same "unknown command" message. If I type v followed by a tab, it suggests videoinfo and videotest, but both of those get the "secure boot forbids" message. This is grub2 by the way. Hey ho.