Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: multiple problems with Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy multiple problems with Ubuntu

Been using Ubuntu since 2005 and found it to be very good with great improvements in user friendliness up to 2010. Since then it seems to be getting more & more difficult to use with a lot of problems being encountered.

Examples are the inability of 2011 onwards versions to easiy recognise my HP all in one scanner; updates repeatedly over-riding my settings; updates repeatedly causing crashes; Firefox insisting on starting with the last page accessed despite setting its preferences to always open on my home page; sound not automatically switching off the speakers when earphones are plugged in (reboot is necessary).

I've tried various versions of Ubuntu itself and Linx Mint and keep getting these annoying problems and am wondering if there may be some malicious activity involved to drive users away from Ubuntu!

Can anyone explain what is going on or recommend a user friendly alternative?
    Desktop - P4 3.2GHz 800 FSB, Asus P5L-VM1394, 1G DDR2, 1T SATA HDD + 500G SATA HDD
    Laptop - Acer Aspire 7730 Intel Centrino2
    Samsung Galaxy Ace Android

Beans
    Distro

Re: multiple problems with Ubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

If you decide you want help fixing these issues please start a thread with one issue per topic, with an descriptive title.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Hello, beansdad,
    I believe Ubuntu is moving as fast as it can to alleviate these "problems." The hardware changes and the software (Ubuntu) has to change. This doesn't happen overnight, but is a process that takes months and thousands of programmers. Your issues may be solved in the next kernel. In the mean time, post your problems here, and people will be happy to help you solve them. As Wild Man said, Post one problem at a time and give specifics. I, for one, have come to Ubuntu for good. Windows just doesn't have adequate security, and I won't go back to it. Good luck with your problems and your posts.
    A to Z Answers to a lot of your questions....NewDocs.
    Book Download about 13.10.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for responses.

I have found the forums to be absolutely brilliant helping with specific problems for the most part, but there are some that have been rolling on for a long time.

My post was not to try to deal with the individual problems one at a time because there are too many and I don't really have the time. It was to comment on the apparent change in usefulness or increase in problems of Ubuntu since 10.04, both of which sem to be commented on in a number of posts, and I was wondering why this was happening and if there was a viable alternative.
    Desktop - P4 3.2GHz 800 FSB, Asus P5L-VM1394, 1G DDR2, 1T SATA HDD + 500G SATA HDD

Beans
    Distro

Hi, I have been using 12.04 since it came out and the only issue I had was getting the nividia driver working which only took a short time but I use the classic desktop and stay away from unity.

It sounds like you may have done an upgrade instead of a fresh install and that will cause all kinds of problems because there is just so many differences between 10.04 and 12.04.

Without knowing the specifics of your system that is all I can say about what is most likely happening.

Also xubuntu is a good one to try if you do not want unity.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, tried 10.10, 11.10, 12.04, Linux Mint all fresh installs (don't like upgrades as they tend to fail!) on both my desktop and laptop and with unity, classic and cinnamon. With a v slow internet connection, as we're quite a way from the exchange, have tried downloads and various free CDs/DVDs from magazines for installs. Get a few less problems with the laptop. Tried Fedora but that seems to have similar problems.

Moved away from commercial system due to constant blue screens, long upadtes & v slow systems but seem to be getting back to this with Ubuntu. Really don't want to move away but need to spend a lot more time using the computer and less maintaining/problem solving. At the moment the balance is not acceptable.

Am tempted to go back to 10.04 and stay there until I feel confidant in any new version.

Will look again at Xubuntu & see what happens.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It looks like some of your problems may be due to inattention on your part, when doing updates, always check what is going to be installed/removed before clicking continue. I'm personally running Trusty on my main system for daily use, I update a minimum of twice a day, and aside from one problem that really had nothing to do with the OS, things have been running so smoothly that it's almost boring. Also keep in mind that Ubuntu has nothing to do with HP drivers, and there may be an older version of Hplip in the repositories, so I'd suggest downloading and installing them directly from the manufacturer.

I'd suggest that you stay away from 10.04 desktop, unless you don't plan on connecting to the internet. It has come to the end of it's life cycle, and security updates are no longer available

Beans
    Distro

Interesting response. Alas, several of my attempts have had multiple problems from a clean install without updates for different versions of Ubuntu and from different sources. Yes, many times the problems have started after updates but I can't see how being selective with updates causes things like Firefox refusing to accept starting from my homepage instead of the last page accessed and similar configuration settings being ignored by the system.

I would be interested to know how I would know which updates I need to be selective about so I could be less "inattentive"? Aren't the updates supposed to be only for the programs I have installed and are to improve these?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The one thing to stay away from is partial updates, as at time there will be updates that come through that are still waiting for dependencies to be built. The best way to check updates, is to read the change logs. I don't use the Software Centre, so I'm not sure if you can check change logs, but both synaptic, or apt get allow you to download them before actually setting the upgrade process in motion. Another suggestion, that is only my personal opinion, but never use Update Manager to do updates.

Beans
    Distro

New, clean install of 12.10 from different source & with no updates installed has now started with the "system problem detected" messages for assorted programs, so I've wasted enough time with Ubuntu. Will try using Mint for a while & see what happens but not holding my breath.

While I greatly appreciate the work done by the developers, if it continually fails it's of no use to me. I can't afford the time to try to resolve individual problems, some of which have been around for years, only to find that another system update has reset things and I have to it all over again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast