Thread: groups cannot find random group IDs

Beans

groups cannot find random group IDs

Hi, some time ago I upgraded to 13.10 from 12.10. After the upgrade, I've been getting the following messages whenever I open a new terminal of any sort, using bash, I get the following message.

groups: cannot find name for group ID 1107158749

Now it's important to note that the group ID is different each time I restart my machine. I tried to create a temporary group thinking that it was linked to some program and that I'd figure out which later, but when I restart my machine, the missing ID changes.

Another important note is that it only happens when using bash. If I use ksh, csh, tcsh, zsh, basically any other shell, this message doesn't pop up.

Any idea what this is?

Beans

Re: groups cannot find random group IDs

bump

Beans

Someone here had a similar issue but it doesn't look like it was ever resolved --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2198232

Maybe something in your ~/.bashrc file? Happy to take a look if you post it. Or you could try invoking bash with --norc and/or --noprofile to try to narrow down if it's something in a system-wide startup file

Code:
    bash --norc --noprofile

Beans

Thanks a lot for your response!

So, I tried bash --norc --noprofile, and the message didn't get printed.
    I then tried bash --norc and the message didn't get printed. I then tried
    bash --noprofile and the message was printed.

So like an idiot, I accidently just straight away deleted my .bashrc file. So I guess I can't trouble shoot that file exactly anymore.. HOWEVER the error still exists even if the bashrc file which is loaded is empty. very weird. Whats more is that the warning is printed if I execute

Code:
    bash --rcfile /path/to/empty/file -ci "pwd"
    but NOT if I execute

Code:
    bash --rcfile /path/to/empty/file -c "pwd"
    So I guess it's happening specifically when I use bash to have an interactive session which loads any kind of rc file even an empty rcfile.

Any ideas?

Beans

bump