Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible my activity to be tracked

Beans

Re: Is it possible my activity to be tracked

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    I won't mention any company but I have heard reports that simply plugging in your iphone or Android phone into a work computer to charge it will cause that phone to be completely imaged (copied) onto a company's security server for forensic analysis. Some employees have lost their job for what was found, that was unrelated to direct job performance. So, based on this, I would think that anything that is done on a company computer or anything plugged into a company computer is subject to such scrutiny.
    You need to strap the stump, braw!
    http://int3.cc/products/usbcondoms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I remember riding a subway in Boston with a public service poster that looked like a Beneton Ad with three shirtless young men with the tagline: "Don't forget your Jimmy Hat". One of them was wearing a wool cap--because, you know, it gets cold in Boston. So the message is if it is cold outside and you are shirtless, don't forget your Jimmy Hat.
    Last edited by tgalati4; February 15th, 2014 at 04:42 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

The main reason Im concerned is because I kinda work on second place which is competition.. The truth is that both companies know that, I'm just doing my job, but I needed to do things as online banking, using some firm's software that are ok to use only in the first company I work ( and I used it in the second). I have personal data I would not like to expose, but the situation was like this that I should use my PC anyway...

So is there a way they to see personal files, folders or even what kind of software I'm using.. or it is just the browsing data. And is there a way to check if I'm tracked?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can see your concern - and exposure. I can see each company claiming to need to need to monitor your computer for malware/spyware from the "other" company. And, to a certain extent, they'd be right.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    I can see your concern - and exposure. I can see each company claiming to need to need to monitor your computer for malware/spyware from the "other" company. And, to a certain extent, they'd be right.

I appreciate your thoughts but I need specific answers to the specific questions I asked! Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is there a specific question that hasn't been answered?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Is there a specific question that hasn't been answered?

So is there a way they to see personal files, folders or even what kind of software I'm using.. or it is just the browsing data. And is there a way to check if I'm tracked?

And if once tracked, Could the continue to track me on my home wifi, or I should change the internet connection?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by danbuz View Post

And if once tracked, Could the continue to track me on my home wifi, or I should change the internet connection?
    If the company owns the computer you use then assume they can see everything- network traffic, saved files, emails.

If you're using a personal computer to connect to them remotely then assume they can see all your network traffic & emails you send/receive.

They could do keylogging & screenshot your screen every few seconds if they felt like it, but no company can do that for everyone all the time.

No, there isn't really a tool you can use to see what they see. Yes, they could easily check your OS, software, versions when you connect to their network. It depends on how you connect to their network whether they can see your personal files on your computer.

If you need to do something that you do not want them to see then get off their network. If it's a company-owned computer then yes they could see your history of stuff you did off their network. They are less likely to do that if you own the computer, but they could potentially acquire an image of your computer while you're connected if they were so inclined.
    Last edited by bashiergui; February 16th, 2014 at 03:28 AM.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bashiergui View Post
    If the company owns the computer you use then assume they can see everything- network traffic, saved files, emails.

If you're using a personal computer to connect to them remotely then assume they can see all your network traffic & emails you send/receive.

They could do keylogging & screenshot your screen every few seconds if they felt like it, but no company can do that for everyone all the time.

No, there isn't really a tool you can use to see what they see. Yes, they could easily check your OS, software, versions when you connect to their network. It depends on how you connect to their network whether they can see your personal files on your computer.

If you need to do something that you do not want them to see then get off their network. If it's a company-owned computer then yes they could see your history of stuff you did off their network. They are less likely to do that if you own the computer, but they could potentially acquire an image of your computer while you're connected if they were so inclined.

Very big THANKS for this specific answer. So, now I know they stole something from me and used it for their own purpose. I'm continue investigating and than straight to the lawyers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by danbuz View Post
    Very big THANKS for this specific answer. So, now I know they stole something from me and used it for their own purpose. I'm continue investigating and than straight to the lawyers!
    Whoa there cowboy. YOU put your PC on THEIR network. THEY OWN the NETWORK and all DATA traveling over it - at least in the USA. In many states, they also own any field-related work you may do even if on your own equipment and own time. That comes down to the employment contract and state laws, which vary widely by state.

I my state, they own everything related to my work even if it isn't directly related to my position. So if I wanted to "keep" my private work private, no way would I ever connect that machine to their network - even from my home over a VPN. I'd have a different machine, never talk about the work, never show it to anyone from the job, no clients, no customers, and I'd quit my job a few weeks before trying to sell anything related to the new idea. I've heard of companies signing agreements to let an employee work on stuff outside of work when the company didn't believe it was interesting in my state.

Other states have very different laws. I think California is more friendly to people working-at-home creating stuff.

A company has the right - and perhaps the legal mandate - to secure all the devices on their network. I think they haven't done anything wrong.

OTOH, you haven't named the company, the country, the province or the industry, so everything in every post above about legal stuff means absolutely NOTHING. Only a lawyer will be able to provide advice - be certain to get one familiar with IP laws, not just any lawyer. I think you will be surprised, and unhappy, with their response.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast