Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible my activity to be tracked

Beans

Is it possible my activity to be tracked

Hi,

I work in IT company, and there is a rumor that high level managers track the activity of the servants. So we use firm's wi-fi connection, and work on WIN, but to synchronize my documents I use my own laptop connected to the same wifi. I'm with ubuntu and I just wonder is there a way managers to watch what I search for, what I'm doing at all..

And is there a way to check if the connection is monitored.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by danbuz; February 14th, 2014 at 12:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is it possible my activity to be tracked

danbuz,
    You may attract attention by your efforts to see if others are tracking you.
    Tracking of employees may be permissible depending upon the local laws and may well be deemed acceptable and form part of your contract of employment.
    May well be best to assume that you are being tracked and monitored by your employer and act accordingly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've worked at places where monitored everything. They had to - it was a legal liability thing.
    If you are on someone elses network, they know all about your traffic. If they have enough resources, they can even see inside HTTPS traffic.

Don't use work networks for non-work things.

Use your cell phone data connection if you can't just stop. Wifi is easier to track than wired. Doesn't matter if they use WPA2 or RADIUS authentication. It is their network. They can see all the traffic.

The only way that I'd do anything the bosses might not like is by:
    * using my non-Windows systems - never theirs.
    * using an ssh/OpenVPN connection that uses IP addresses only. Most smart companies block all VPN stuff.
    That's it.

TOR is not easy to use in a secure manner, though it may be good enough for smaller company networks, if you use your own equipment.

Assume your screen is being captured every 20 seconds and that security can watch live if you use a company-provided box on their network. I've seen this. A security guy watched suspects as they spent 10 hrs at work day trading stocks. He wondered when they actually did their jobs.

For your personal box, they can see all the network traffic, which means that websites you visit will be known if you do not take extra steps. There is good news. If you didn't have to setup a company Certificate to get on their network ( shame on IT for that ), then your HTTPS traffic content is probably safe enough, but they probably have a transparent proxy looking at all other unencrypted traffic.

In very large enterprises, HTTPS traffic can be spoofed with a combined DNS/proxy setup. Use HTTPS-everywhere and Certificate Patrol from your home internet connection to store "known good" HTTPS connection before going into work to see if the company gets in the middle or not. Certificate Patrol will tell you if a different Cert than expected is encountered.
    Last edited by TheFu; February 14th, 2014 at 06:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

If your company not having a good network sys admin who dont know about tor browser , then No Body can watch your web-activity AFAIK.
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Don't use work networks for non-work things.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by raja.genupula View Post
    If your company not having a good network sys admin who dont know about tor browser , then No Body can watch your web-activity AFAIK.
    A better solution is not to do personal stuff at work.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Honesty is doing the right thing when someone is looking.
    Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you're worried about being watched while you're doing your personal stuff at work, you need to ask yourself if you should be doing it. Either get talking with your workplace's admin to find out what's acceptable, or don't do it at all.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Most of the places I have worked where you need to use the computers make you sign an acceptable use agreement as far as of the hiring process.

When in doubt ask either IT or HR.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I won't mention any company but I have heard reports that simply plugging in your iphone or Android phone into a work computer to charge it will cause that phone to be completely imaged (copied) onto a company's security server for forensic analysis. Some employees have lost their job for what was found, that was unrelated to direct job performance. So, based on this, I would think that anything that is done on a company computer or anything plugged into a company computer is subject to such scrutiny.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

The long and the short of it is, Yes, your activity can be tracked.
    If you have to ask yourself "should I be doing this at work?" then you probably shouldn't be doing it.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast