Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible my activity to be tracked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is it possible my activity to be tracked

Quote Originally Posted by danbuz View Post
    Very big THANKS for this specific answer. So, now I know they stole something from me and used it for their own purpose. I'm continue investigating and than straight to the lawyers!
    +1 to TheFu

Also check your employee manual/agreement. It probably states that nothing you do on their network is private.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans

Also keep in mind that search engine results are not private, and can be linked from your private residence to your work place and should not be assumed to be completely seperate. This can lead to leaking corporate data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by danbuz View Post
    Very big THANKS for this specific answer. So, now I know they stole something from me and used it for their own purpose. I'm continue investigating and than straight to the lawyers!
    If engaging lawyers the very act of discovery may uncover actions that may not support you case, indeed some may be detrimental to your cause.

Beans

yes you can be tracked. In our company our managers monitor everything. It is best not to do personal stuff like this at work during work times

Beans

Well, doesn't his apply (tracking) to ALL newwork connections? Including your ISP ? I would be interested in knowing who and when I am being tracked. I know google and facebook seem to share your site's visited.
    Last edited by eightbits2010; February 23rd, 2014 at 03:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In my country ISPs have to by law keep records of sites visited by customers. Telecommunication companies also have to keep records of calls and txts contacted by subscribers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by eightbits2010 View Post
    Well, doesn't his apply (tracking) to ALL newwork connections? Including your ISP ? I would be interested in knowing who and when I am being tracked.
    That's what Tor and VPNs are for.
    Quote Originally Posted by eightbits2010 View Post
    I know google and facebook seem to share your site's visited.
    Use private browsing and don't click on links when you're logged in to Facebook or Google to avoid that.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bashiergui View Post
    Use private browsing and don't click on links when you're logged in to Facebook or Google to avoid that.
    Could just use Ghostery or the like too.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

This can help too.
    http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Beans

Wow.

OK Some of this has already been said here, but for the sake of completeness. In the USA last I checked:
    1. Your employer has the right to any information on any hardware they own. In other words, keyloggers are legal and legitimate.
    2. Your employer has the right to any information that passes on their network.
    3. Cisco and pretty much every other business/enterprise switch can mirror a port to another port. Generally this means that every packet entering or leaving their network can be recorded in full or in part, and generally speaking a lot of companies make use of that. It's their equipment, their account and their data. They're legally responsible for what goes through their router, so you can pretty much say that they own it. Legally.
    4. Regarding your equipment on their network, if you send the data across their network then it's their data. I don't think there's a legal recourse.
    5. The same goes for connecting to the company VPN from outside: If it goes through their VPN then it's their data.
    6. I pretty much guarantee that the only company that's OK with you using Facebook on company time or with company equipment is Facebook.
    7. If you use search engine plugins on your browser, then probably they transmit data you don't think they transmit. Any sort of quick search is going to send data as you type it, because they're sending results as you type it.
    8. With https you're still using their DNS which is not encrypted. They know what site you went to.
    9. With ANYTHING, they know what IP address you went to and what protocol you tried.
    10. Try to think of anything at all that you would do -- legally -- for your company on their equipment that involves TOR. I'm dying to hear what it might be.
    11. Rights to your work:
      1. Contracts vary, and state laws vary.
      2. Sometimes the company claims all intellectual works you created while in their employ. That includes time you spent at home on your own equipment. Sometimes this is legal.
      3. Sometimes companies restrict that to the type of business they're in.
      4. Sometimes they restrict it to time on their equipment or while in their building. Or pretty much anything else.
      5. When you sign the contract for employment, there is a non-compete clause. Sometimes they claim rights to anything you came up with for a long time after you quit. These are sometimes shaky unless they can prove you worked on it while in their employ.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast