Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no audio and unable to run package manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Lightbulb no audio and unable to run package manager

Hello,

I have HP2000 i3 win 8.1 setup to dual boot with ubuntu studio 12.04. I was able to get this to work by having my laptop boot in legacy mode and using boot-repair "recomended fix" and my laptop now boots to grub... everything seemed to be fine

First off I feel that I should give a full disclosure of my trials and tribulations. I have been using different Linux distrobutions for about 10 years.. long time troller, first time poster. Definately NOT expert in shell.

I had problems installing any version above 12.04.. the probem was the display would be non functional. After lots of starting over with different versions I found that 12.04 worked. So it installed properly but the sound didnt work, i figured it was a configuration thing and put it on the back burner. After a couple weeks I am now looking to begin using this distro for some sound production and dove into learning more about it. Long story short, the sound still doesnt work and I cannot run the Package Manager nor can I run any Software Upates. When I open Synaptic I get this error:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal-updates_universe_i18n_Translation-en
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: no audio and unable to run package manager

Why is is mentioning quantal, while you are running precise? Are you running precise?
    Give
    Code:
    lsb_release -drc
    What did you do with package manager? Did you format root partition when you tried diffrent versions?
    You should post package manager problem on more general support forum, it has nothing to do with Ubuntu studio.

No sound?
    Give
    Code:
    aplay -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Hey jejeman - thank you for replying!!

Wow so I gues when I ran the initial software update I inadvertantly upgraded the hardware enablement stack as well. Sorry for the misinformation above.

jason@jason-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~$ lsb_release -drc

Description: Ubuntu 12.10
    Release: 12.10
    Codename: quantal

I ultimately wanted to use raring ringtail (13.04), but no display... as I tried different distros I reformated the drive (partition) - after a couple times of that I just went to using the live version to check if it worked to save time. I had my laptop connected to the internet via wireless during install and downloaded updates during the install of 12.04. After it installed I updated the reccomended software udates. Everything seemed to be fine - no errors - Then I had realized I had no audio - so as I mentioned above I set it aside for a couple weeks..

I dove back into it, and when i boot i get a notification that there were updates available and when i open update manager (show updates, check for updates) i get this error. The only time i really openned synaptic package manager is when i got the above mentioned error. When i attempted to open it it fails and kicks back this same message.

jason@jason-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~$ aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC269VC Analog [ALC269VC Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Well, I would just delete or move this file /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal-updates_universe_i18n_Translation-en, try
    Code:
    sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal-updates_universe_i18n_Translation-en ~
    13.04 is no longer supported.

So, you installed 12.04, than upgraded to 12.10 <--- lots of problems can occur from this action. Did you had sound before upgrade?
    I see that audio card is recognized, did you check the volume faders, maybe something is just turned down?
    Code:
    alsamixer
    Last edited by jejeman; February 14th, 2014 at 04:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

hey,

I ran the first command and it accepteted it.. then rebooted... I am still getyting the error.. so i tried to run the command again..

jason@jason-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal-updates_universe_i18n_Translation-en ~
    [sudo] password for jason:
    mv: cannot stat `/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal-updates_universe_i18n_Translation-en': No such file or directory
    jason@jason-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~$ ^C
    jason@jason-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~$

I pulled the also mixer and this is the pic:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

sorry.. couldnt upload pic directly...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

thats wierd... auto mute was turned on... maybe there is something to do with the function key controls? when i use the mute button it shows as muted/unmuted in the tool bar and i get no sound with either... but in the screenshot of the alsamixer even tho it is "unmuted" auto mute shows as enabled. - lemme see if the input/mic is working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

cool beans.. guess the problem was with the function key all along...

so regardless if auto mute in alsa is enabled or disabled.. when i use the funtion key to mute the sound will mute but it will not unmute - tho graphically it shows as unmuted - to unmute i need to use the tool bar sound indicator to click unmute... volume up and down function keys work fine... seems that it is the mute button only causing a problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Thank you so much for your help!!! i am functional with sound now.. any thoughts on the function key? I posted the issue with package manager in the general ubuntu forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2205529)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Glad that you figure it out with the sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_West View Post
    hey,

I ran the first command and it accepteted it.. then rebooted... I am still getyting the error.. so i tried to run the command again..

jason@jason-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal-updates_universe_i18n_Translation-en ~
    [sudo] password for jason:
    mv: cannot stat `/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal-updates_universe_i18n_Translation-en': No such file or directory
    Rebooting rarely helps in Linux... There was no need for you to reboot, just update the Apt database.
    So, if you do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    what happens?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast