Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a 100% GNOME-free distro?

Beans

Is there a 100% GNOME-free distro?

Just curious whether such a distro exists. Even Kubuntu 13.10 has things like gsettings and gnome-keyring and network manager.

My bad ... explained here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12928189
    Last edited by vasa1; February 13th, 2014 at 03:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Is there a 100% GNOME-free distro?

yes i saw a pure KDE distro but can't remember it's name. i saw it on distrowatch.

besides try mini.iso + KDE (not kubuntu desktop metapackage).

hmm it has gnoem keyrign? are you sure you didn't pull it in with any gnome application? i mean it uses KWallet. an network manager should be from KDE.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    yes i saw a pure KDE distro but can't remember it's name. i saw it on distrowatch.

besides try mini.iso + KDE (not kubuntu desktop metapackage).

hmm it has gnoem keyrign? are you sure you didn't pull it in with any gnome application? i mean it uses KWallet. an network manager should be from KDE.
    I'm sorry! You're probably correct. I looked at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...amd64.manifest but then quite a few items are deleted as part of the automatic clean-up after installation. And so it's quite likely that some (or all?) GNOME items are removed.

I should have looked at http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/kubuntu-desktop for the real picture.
    Last edited by vasa1; February 13th, 2014 at 03:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

+1 for Mastablasta's suggestion.

I'm actually running that exact setup of 13.10 on this laptop. First I used the mini.iso to install a base system, which you can dl here in your preferred architecture/version: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD. Just make sure you skip the step called "choose which software to install" or something like that.

I then used apt-get to install kde-plasma-desktop metapackage. That is not the full kubuntu desktop, there is another meta-package for the full "Kubuntu" desktop. The metapackage I used includes only a couple very basic applications, like konsole, dolphin, and kwrite, which you will want anyway. To my knowledge there is absolutely no gnome or gtk-based anything in this setup.

Keep in mind that doing an install like this will probably give you some extra work to do. You'll need to manually install some things you take for granted on a normal 'buntu install. Packages you'll probably want to add in are:
    kmix -for sound integration into desktop
    kdesudo -really not sure why this isn't included
    kscreen -to have full control over resolution, etc
    gdebi-kde -package installer
    plasma-nm -gives you the taskbar widget to control the KDE version of network manager (not the gnome network manager) keep in mind you'll have to edit out your connections in /etc/network/interfaces or network manager won't "see" them

doing a base-system install will also leave you lacking some cli tools which you might want, so far I've added in:
    man-db
    nano
    lshw
    Last edited by dave2001; February 13th, 2014 at 05:32 PM.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans

Your best bet is to roll your own from a base of your choice (arch, debian, ubuntu, slackware, manjaro, gentoo etc) and choosing your own packages. This way you get exactly what you want and nothing more.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

my guess is firefox pulled in dependencies. i just checked and i too have a couple of gnome stuff installed. among others the keyring. eventhough the install is vanilla Kubuntu + Firefox&TB. i am not sure if i have any other gnome application.

i need to check again since i forgot if i installed gimp or inkscape to this PC. those two also use gtk i believe.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Chakra is all KDE. GTK apps, if added, are segregated in quasi-sandboxes so as not to interfere with the "purity" of the KDE install.

Hafta to say I don't really understand this purge-all-Gnome thing, but don't confuse GTK with Gnome. I'm not especially fond of KDE, but don't really care if dependencies bring pieces of it, and certainly not pieces of QT. (E.g., VLC typically brings in a kdelibs package.) If I don't interact with it, it's just object code.

Beans

I just installed kde-plasma-desktop on my lubuntu 13.10 netbook. The kickoff launcher is empty ... no favorites or even applications. This is on both openbox and plasma.

Can't seem to find anything on how to deal with this ...

Maybe it'd be a better idea to just install kubuntu and remove stuff?

Beans

Rob tried installing ubuntu server edition, then apt-get kubuntu-desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Aren't all distributions without a GUI usually free from gnome? But do you still want a desktop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast