Thread: Kubuntu 14.04 Alpha, To upgrade or not?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Kubuntu 14.04 Alpha, To upgrade or not?

Hi, I am posting after sometime, so If i post in the wrong place, will be glad if that mistake is corrected.

I had downloaded Kubuntu 14.04 Alpha, 05-02-2014 iso and installed. Everything worked fine out of the box.
    In fact, thanks to 3.13 kernel, since 12.04 this is the first time I did not have to use 'nomodeset' for a live session

But Monday, On opening Muon Discover I found 'updates' for installed apps which I did and borked my system. Partial update or not, it was not clearly mentioned.

I reinstalled.

Now today I am having a notification : 'A newer version of Kubuntu is available'. The screenshot of the authorisation box opened is attached.

My question, Is this a 'partial-update' or can I go for it safely ?snapshot2.png
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kubuntu 14.04 Alpha, To upgrade or not?

While running a development release, it may not be to wise running the default update tools, unless you intend on creating a bug report. I just finished updating my Ubuntu Gnome-shell install for the first time in two weeks. I usually use synaptic, as it is just a couple of clicks to do an update, but this time, synaptic let me down, as it took to long to register all the updates (I'm running gnome-shell from a 32GiB usb thumb drive). I used:

Code:
    sudo dist-upgrade
    after having to answering Y three times during the upgrade process, it finally finished, with a few errors, that seem to be resolved as the upgrade progressed.

Before you reboot, I'd suggest you make sure the upgrade has been completed, by opening a terminal, and running:

Code:
     sudo apt-get -f install
    even if the upgrade seemed to finish successfully. In my experience it is always better to be a bit extra cautious, than to just assume things have gone the way they should.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I bang in all updates, upgrades, dist-upgrades everyday! But then, my 14.04 install is for testing as that's what 14.04 is at the moment. I have it only to update and check, not for everyday stuff.

It's not necessarily going to be a smooth ride for the next couple of months so if you're using 14.04 as a production machine or for everyday work or reliability of any kind, I wouldn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for the quick responses, ah, the reason why i like being here... the help

In the last 13.10 cycle, I was trying out UbuntuGnome from September, and if I remember correctly, it told me 'there are partial updates available'.
    Whenever the word 'partial' was written, I avoided. Was a smooth ride, one thing I learned from 'grahammechanical' and reading up U +1 !
    Since this time I did not get it('partial updates available'), I am a little confused.

And, nah, this ain't my production machine... this installation is for trying out the flavors, I am currently trying out Ubuntu Studio 14.04 too...

And, my Wheezy 7.3, is my fallback
    Last edited by su:bhatta; February 13th, 2014 at 10:10 AM.
    bhatta

'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am not using Kubuntu so I am not familiar with the ways of Muon Discover. It is usual to get updates when we install an Alpha or a daily image. If you re-installed the Alpha image there will be updates to bring it up to date with the changes since the Alpha image was released.

I am using Ubuntu and I update every day using Update Manager (Software Updater) and it has been giving me this message for some weeks.

Not all updates can be installed. Run Partial Upgrade, to install as many updates as possible. This can be caused by

* A previous upgrade which did not complet
    * Problems with some of the installed software
    * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu
    * Normal changes of a pre-release version of Ubuntu
    Despite the last comment I never click Partial Upgrade. I always click Continue and then the update process continues as usual. It is normal to get the Partial Upgrade message for a development cycle.

Try running the update/upgrade commands in a terminal. The update/upgrade will not take place until you have entered Y. I never update if it is going to remove ubuntu-desktop. This may be happening to the Kubuntu version of the desktop.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    suso apt-get upgrade
    One of the things I like about Software Updater is that it has easily understood labels compared with what we used to get. And we can untick a package if we are worried about it. We also get information about what is being held back.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 13th, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Don't forget

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

... at the end of all that. Nothing much happened with the first two the other day but this brought a bunch of stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks again Grahammechanical & Bucky Ball. I will use the Terminal this time.

Currently, playing with Compiz on my Ubuntu Studio 14.04 install and I must say, it is much less buggy than when I tried it last time, 13.04 I think.

And yes, quite loving the cusomizations that can be done with Xfce and its light on resources, next best thing after FVWM I run on my Wheezy install
    bhatta

'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !