Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell Dimension 2400

Beans

Re: Older Versions Of Ubuntu on Old Desktops

grahammechanical
    I do not consider the specifications of that machine to be an obstacle to running Ubuntu 12.04 or upwards to 14.04. I am on an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.40 Ghz + 1GB Ram + 1 GB Nvidia GT220. It is running Trusty Tahr brilliantly and it is using Nouveau. Are you sure that the sluggish results are not down to a video driver problem?

Regards.
    I mean it runs all of it, I just wanted on older version to really be faster than what I'm using now. I figured it would work better with something older, I used to have a Intel 2.4 but bought a Pentium 3.04 for $20.00 off Ebay. My computer should be considered a mutt hahaha, Its a crossbreed of a Compaq and a Dell, with minor mods added. like the wifi card, nvidia card, 3.04 proc, dvd burner, motherboard swap etc. I downloaded the both 12.04 LTS Lubuntu and Kubunto so I think i might like Lubuntu more
    Last edited by ThatNewGuy; March 7th, 2014 at 03:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

But Lubuntu 12.04 has no long time support. It has passed end of life, which means that there are no updates/upgrades of the desktop specific program packages, not even for security. I cannot recommend it. Xubuntu 12.04 LTS will be around for another year, but the only supported Lubuntu version is 13.10. Next version 14.04 will include Lubuntu LTS (to be released in April). You can test it here

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...nes/308/builds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There's all kinds of Linux distros targeting different kinds of hardware. There's absolutely going to be something current that will be receiving patches and security updates that will be a better choice to run than an unsupported older version. If it is the general look and feel you want, you can be using Xubuntu and get the MATE desktop installed. I've still got a soft spot for Fiesty Fawn myself. It was my first Ubuntu and remains how I think Ubuntu should "look" (at least they got it right through Karmic Koala!)
    Xubuntu - Elegance and Ease of Use
    Debian -The Universal Operating System

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Dell Dimension 2400

Some additional RAM would make a big difference. Should not cost you much.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I love Lubuntu as I have it installed on my desktop and laptop but if you think your pc is still slow, give Puppy a try

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Like many others think xubuntu/lubuntu is good if you want extra speed however get 14.04 especially if you want lubuntu because 12.04 isn't a lubuntu LTS. Also if you like a dock try cairo as it is probally lighter than unity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12