Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to application menus??

Beans

What happened to application menus??

I have been away for awhile, and wanted to test the waters again with Ubuntu.

Downloaded and installed 12.04 then installed QT (the reason for trying Linux again)

Created a simple app - ran it - do you think I could find my application menu.
    Small application window, running on the bottom right of my screen, nowhere could I find the application menu.
    I tweaked the application numerous times, removed all the widgets from my app - still no menu.

an answer on google was to try taping the alt key and see the menu appear.
    No luck - instead I get this big search app pop up on the top left.

So not even the standard Alt key would bring up the menu.

But then....
    Through some strange occurrence, out of the corner of my eye I see my menu up on the very top left of the screen.
    Now I know for sure - I must have a bug in the QT application - the menu got associated with the wrong client area.

Hold on... After minimizing QT-Creator, I see that it too has its menu at the top left.
    oh, ... It must be a QT bug!!

Loaded LibreOffice Writer - it has no problems - the menu is right where it should be - associated with the client space of
    LebreOffice Writer.

Loaded FireFox - and guess what - the menu is at the top left again. Was fire fox created using QT?

So what's going on?? Bug or by design?

If by design, what sort of HMI rules would dictate that the menu for a small window at the bottom right of my large screen would have its menu located at the top left of my screen?

I thought Windows 8 was bad with hiding its menus behind hovering your mouse in the corners.

Is there a way to put the menus back where they belong?

...Dale

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: What happened to application menus??

Sorry, but this is how Canonical decided that the Unity desktop would work -- a single menu at the top of the screen.

Won't use this as an excuse to get into "rant mode" -- but this was one of the key reasons I switched over to Linux Mint -- I LIKE menus, and they still have the menu-based desktop (in Cinnamon).
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You really have been away for quite a while. Things have been like this for about 3 years or more. It is nothing to do with QT. It is the way the Ubuntu Unity user interface works.

And if you want to moan and criticise then please do so in the appropriate section of this forum and not in a help section for absolute beginners, which you are obviously not.

And that is just a matter of opinion. If you do not like it then use Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Or install Gnome Classic or Fallback, whatever it is called on 12.04. It is not a case of Ubuntu not being for you. More like you not being for Ubuntu.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

You can use Ubuntu 12.04 and have the applications menus in the conventional location. Just install an alternate DE (desktop environment), such as xfce4 or lxde. Then when you log in, you can select the DE that you prefer.
    Last edited by Dave_L; February 12th, 2014 at 01:53 AM.

Beans

Thanks Mark for the tip regarding Mint. After some reading on the various desktop environments available - I think mint will likely be the better fit for me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dcwood View Post
    Thanks Mark for the tip regarding Mint. After some reading on the various desktop environments available - I think mint will likely be the better fit for me.
    You could try disabling this feature you don't like. It's called the global menu.

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/...cise-pangolin/

Beans

Yes - it has been quite a while.

Truly though - I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong in my app !
    I think the unity desktop would be a better fit for me on smaller tablet type devices.

No need to wine ... There is always a different distribution to be tried.

For me ( at least on a large screen ) having the menu so far away from the apps window is like having to go to the kitchen to turn the channel on the tv in the living room.
    Last edited by dcwood; February 12th, 2014 at 06:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dcwood View Post
    Yes - it has been quite a while.

Truly though - I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong in my app !
    I think the unity desktop would be a better fit for me on smaller tablet type devices.

No need to wine ... There is always a different distribution to be tried.

For me ( at least on a large screen ) having the menu so far away from the apps window is like having to go to the kitchen to turn the channel on the tv in the living room.
    I think you missed my previous post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    I think you missed my previous post.
    Well Thanks - That worked as well. (Except for FireFox)
    That command should be tucked into some sort of user preference app. (Appearance or some other place)

...Dale

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

you could always install the classic menu indicator that gives you a drop down menu on the right side near your wireless sign i like to use it along with unity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast