Thread: Whats the latest

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Whats the latest

Been away for a while but planning to set up Windows 7 with latest version of Ubuntu. I was pleasantly surprised reading the installation process to see there's a section for setting up wireless connection. Is there anything in particular to be aware of installing latest Ubuntu on my dell latitude laptop?
    Linux user: 447671 | Ubuntu user: 16457
    Ubuntu Feisty | 3gb ddr2 | Intel Core Duo | 120 gb Dell latitude

Moving from Windows to Linux is like swapping a glider for an F117

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Whats the latest

Quote Originally Posted by upthelum View Post
    Is there anything in particular to be aware of installing latest Ubuntu on my dell latitude laptop?
    That being an interim non-LTS release it will be supported for 9 months only (until July 2014), and you will need to upgrade to 14.04 LTS sooner than later.

If you were/are not planning to upgrade in the near future, you can always install 12.04 LTS, which is supported until April 2017 and with its 4th subrelease (14.04.4) it now boasts an updated kernel (3.11) and X stack.

Hope that helps.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Also 12o4 has a 2D version of Unity that is no longer available in future versions. If your running older equipment, it may work better.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

On the other hand, the software available from the repos on 12.04 is getting a bit old.

I think you can set up wireless during installation. It still depends on the drivers being available though.

Quote Originally Posted by upthelum
    Moving from Windows to Linux is like swapping a glider for an F117
    I don't agree. Gliders are far more eco friendly than F117s. They're more elegant too. Windows is clucky and leaves cruft lying around in dirty registries and fragmented file systems. And gliders, like Linux, don't have an autopilot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

If all else fails, ndiswrapper will install a Windows driver that will make wireless work. Also, a lighter-weight desktop like lubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop will work better than Unity.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819