Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Box back to Low Res

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Virtual Box back to Low Res

Todays update borked Virtualbox again (updates to virtualbox-guest-dkms may have been the problem). Were again at low res

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Virtual Box back to Low Res

Same here on my Xubuntu 14.04 VM running on the Oracle version of VBox with the VBoxguest additions and the virtualbox-guest-dkms, utils, etc etc packages installed in the guest.

I have even tried a new zsynced daily iso image and that boots fine but utterly refuses to go to a full desktop being stuck at 680x440 or something similar. I'm not on that machine at the moment so can not check those resolution figures but it is just about unusable.

Great pity, as things had been running brilliantly till yesterday.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Same problem here. Even vbox addition iso driver won't work.
    Intel 4770k + ASUS Z87 PRO + 8GB + AMD R9 290X

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I've managed to get it working in a new install of daily and updated.

Code:
    wget https://www.virtualbox.org/download/testcase/VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.7-92075.iso
    sudo mv VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.7-92075.iso /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
    then install guest additions as normal

Not sure how long it will last.

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12623

thanks unit193
    Last edited by Elfy; February 15th, 2014 at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

OK.
    That works for the moment at least with a daily .iso from this morning (Feb 16). Thanks for the info Elfy !

Incidentally I also have WinXP in a VM in order to update my satnav, and that is also working fine with the 4.3.7 guest additions, though when I updated from the previous version XP gave me many warnings that it could cause problems. I didn't worry about that as I had an XP snapshot from 2 days ago ready if it was a problem, but it is good.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!

Now back to a similar problem, unfortunately.

I have the 64 bit xubuntu trusty now installed Feb 19, using that day's daily .iso and although I am able to get a large screen it is impossible to get the correct resolution any more.

I have tried both versions of the VBoxGuestAdditions (4.3.6.and 4.3.7 as noted above in posts 4 & 5) but I can not get 1440x900 res. Everything else is working fine in xubuntu except this problem, and WinXP is still working fine with the 4.3.7 additions.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; February 22nd, 2014 at 08:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

UPDATE:
    I have managed to get the fullscreen running properly again on my 1440x900 monitor by manually writing an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file just to get the correct resolution with contents.
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier    "Default Screen"
        Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
        Device        "Configured Video Device"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
            Modes       "1440x900" "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    I still have to use the 4.3.7 VBox GuestAdditions as shown above, as the standard version, 4.3.6, will not give me fullscreen or any other high resolution at all, just 640x480 or similar.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; February 23rd, 2014 at 10:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Seems to work for me. I'd just not bothered for the last couple of weeks.

Beans
    Hidden!

I presume this is all something to do with new versions of xorg, (if they are new) or virtualbox-guest-dkms, as you suggested, not detecting my monitor properly, as it did work properly for a long time until a week ago when makitso first posted.

I am running on an Intel -i5-3570K cpu with only the on board graphics HD4000, and as I said, I could get a high resolution but just not the correct one. It will be interesting to see what happens if any further xorg updates come along.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The problem was corrected mid-week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast