Thread: Ubuntu 13.10 and other desktops

Beans

Ubuntu 13.10 and other desktops

I have been having problems using desktops other than Unity with Ubuntu 13.10 .
    I tried KDE it worked but I didnt really like it that much - and on removing it, crashed Ub 13.10.
    It took a full restore to get it back and working (though I am quite a beginner, I admit)
    One desktop was more than a desktop and overwrote Ubuntu and had to do full re-install over that one too

Are there alternate desktops that play well with Ubuntu 13.10 ?
    -any help is greatly appreciated

(this is for a laptop,hp pav. dv6, intel i3)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 13.10 and other desktops

I suggest that you test desktop environments in a separate installed system (in a small partition or in a virtual machine) and leave your production system untouched until you know what you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have also found that alternative desktops are more than a different User Interface. They also bring in lots of utilities. I once tried installing several alternative desktops one on top of the other for some kind of test. That really messed things up with conflicting configuration files. Not to be recommended. I suppose that alternative desktops do have their uses but I think that the complete installation of a Ubuntu flavour is best way to do it for avoiding stress. Dual boot.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thank you for the advice .. and for me at this stage of my initial learning, a change like that is not necessary. I was just experimenting.
    Over all, I'm am really enjoying this new world of Linux