Thread: Desktop Doesnot Shutdown/Poweroff!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Desktop Doesnot Shutdown/Poweroff!!!

I am running Ubuntu 13.10/14.04 on a HP Laptop Intel® Celeron(R) M CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz, 32-bit; Memory 2.0 GiB; Intel® 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 Graphic Card.

After installing 13.10 and the upgrade to 14.04, the system does not power off at all i.e. even with terminal command or by clicking the "shutdown" button on the top right 'System' icon drop down menu.

The system closes all activities and a Ubuntu emblem/ensign comes up with dots in a row changing colour from white to red in sequence..like in the starting screen. It remains like that and I have to power down the system with the Power Button pressed for about 6 seconds.

The system has confirmed that I have the latest driver for the Intel graphic card.

I have done a research and did find some threads on it. I tried reconfiguring the Grub file etc but to no avail.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for your time and effort in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Desktop Doesnot Shutdown/Poweroff!!!

Welcome to the development branch

Lubuntu 14.04 has two more months of development until it will be released. You can expect many things to break during this interval. You can help the developers make it work with your hardware, if you report your results at the testing tracker

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...nes/308/builds

and write a bug report at Launchpad

https://launchpad.net/

-o-

If you need a working system, I suggest that you install the current released version, Lubuntu 13.10 again. Unfortunately there is no easy way to downgrade from a newer version to an older one.

Beans
    Distro

I tried reconfiguring the Grub file etc but to no avail.
    I am concerned by that statement. The Shutdown process has nothing to do with the Grub boot menu. Neither does the Restart process. You could end up being unable to boot Ubuntu. And I do not think that this problem has anything to do with the video driver. Daily updates may solve the problem, eventually.

What terminal command did you use? Is it the correct command?

I have found that

Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    usually works to shutdown. Or

Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    to Restart.

Sometimes Ctrl+Alt+Del works. But there have been times when there is no option but to power off at the power button. This is what sometimes happens when we run the development release of Ubuntu.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 12th, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

First, if you are using the 14.04 daily builds (I am on Kubuntu Alpha-2, with all patches applied), you may want to have this posting on the U+1 forum.
    Second, if you could include a comment linking from your bug report to:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1272687
    I would appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro

I am overwhelmed by the replies. Thank you all very much.

@sudodus I will act on what you have said and send those reports as soon as possible. i am new so i will need to read understand and implement..But certainly will give it a good try.

@grahammechanical i have tried both those commands from terminal with no effect...it still finally hangs.

Finally, I do have feeling this probably cropped up after I changed from dual boot (Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04) to only 12.04. this problem has been reported by many.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/12293...11-10-or-12-04

Extract from the same

I have not tried a version of Ubuntu prior to 11.10 on my machine.

The laptop will not shut down or restart. Shutting down causes it to pause at "Will now Halt", where upon it sits until the battery dies. Restarting causes a similar problem, the machine never completely turns off. The screen is still on, the hard drive continues to run, everything is still on.
    It is a similar problem to an unresolved issue posted over at the Ubuntu Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1951446

Extract from that Thread

I fixed the problem.

Because of this, you have to open up the grub configuration file and add the property acpi=force.
    gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    Once there, find where it says, GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    Change this to read:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"
    Save it, then run this command to update your grub configuration.
    sudo update-grub
    Finally, reboot, and your machine should now be able to shutdown and reboot without correctly!

Another discussion on a similar problem.....http://askubuntu.com/questions/12584...r-off-computer
    Last edited by G_Ajith_Kumar; February 12th, 2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Correcting the bad formatting

Beans
    Distro

Sorry. I think the post is quiet miserable looking. Do better next time.