Thread: Clone HDD installation to SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Clone HDD installation to SSD

My Asus U30JC-B1 laptop is starting to show its age! I was considering to replace it but Ubuntu 12.04 works so good on it that I don't want to spend months searching for a laptop that works just as well with Linux and also fit my budget.

So I decided that with some small upgrades I might extend the life of my Asus laptop for a few more months. I upgraded the ram to 8GB and purchased an SSD drive.

Since I spent countless hours tinkering with my Ubuntu installation and installing all kinds of applications I wanted to know if its possible to just clone the HDD existing installation to the new SSD drive so that the transition would be as seamless as possible. I know that the best option is to wipe and install on a clean drive but if there is a way to avoid this and still end up with a working SSD installation I would be more than happy to try that out first. Thank you.
    Screw you guys I'm going home!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Clone HDD installation to SSD

you should be able to copy your /home Directory which gots all your personal items. and move it to a new ubuntu install on the SSD as for intergrating it into the new system im not sure how to do it, though i know its possible.
    These are my computers Specifications:
    MOTHERBOARD:ECS 945GCT-M3 (revision 3.0) CPU:Intel Celeron D 3.45Ghz RAM:2GB DDR2 RAM HDD:80GB (ubuntu) HDD 120GB (Windows) HDD GRAPHICS:Intel 945g Express Chipset Family AUDIO:C-Media PCI audio device

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I also suggest a new install as some settings and configuration for a SSD need to be different anyway.
    Your /home has all your data & user settings. If you configured some hardware settings they are in /etc. And you can export a list of installed apps to make it easy to reinstall.

My backup is so I can easily do a new install and restore all the settings and configurations easily.
    Oldfred's list of stuff to backup May 2011:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1748541

If you do a copy, you have to reconfigure UUIDs, update fstab, reinstall grub and make a few other changes. And a new clean install auto housecleans all the cruft like log files, old kernels etc.

Move entire OS to another drive - but new install often easier
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1929671
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you so much! I will look into the info you provided.
    Screw you guys I'm going home!!!