Thread: Optical drive & specs for Darter ultrathin?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question Optical drive & specs for Darter ultrathin?

I just got my Darter UltraThin this week, my second System76 laptop. I didn't pay enough attention when I bought it, and didn't realize it didn't come with an optical drive. Does anyone have a suggestion for an external dvd writer? Would that plug into a usb port?

I'd also like to set it up to dual-boot windows, but I don't know what the base model is or where to download laptop-specific drivers. Does anyone have that handy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Optical drive & specs for Darter ultrathin?

Yeah, you could just buy a good and affordable USB 3 (since darter ultrathin appears to have 2 usb 3 ports) dvd or even blu-ray (if you are into that) external drive.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Yeah, you could just buy a good and affordable USB 3 (since darter ultrathin appears to have 2 usb 3 ports) dvd or even blu-ray (if you are into that) external drive.
    I think that'll be the way to go. I could take or leave blu-ray for my laptop, so I'll probably just save the money and get a dvd rw without one.

Beans
    Distro

Has anyone loaded windows 7 or 8.1 on this model, or know where I'd get any specific drivers? My Serval Performance (serp4) I got a few years back came with some windows cd's for drivers which were necessary for wireless. I don't quite know what's under the hood on this Darter, so I'm not sure where to look.

Beans
    Distro

I feel silly. The drivers are on their knowledgebase. http://knowledge76.com/index.php/DarU4. The UEFI partition tables are new to me, but that can be figured out.