Thread: Port Forwarding to Apache Web Server

Beans

Port Forwarding to Apache Web Server

I have setup Ubuntu 12.04 Server and installed an Apache2 web server. I have also installed Wordpress (and setup a basic web page). I can access my web page from an internal PC (ie. via my home wireless). I have an Actiontec V1000 modem/router from Telus (my ISP). I have setup port forwarding on my router in order to allow ssh access to the server. In particular I have forwarded port 22 to the IP address of my server. This works ok (I can access via an internal PC or an external one using the modem IP address).

i am now trying to setup port forwarding such that I can get to my web page from an external PC. As I understand that Telus blocks port 80, I have port forwarded port 8080 on my modem to the IP address of my server. I have also made the following changes/additions to my /etc/apache2/ports.conf and /etc/apache2/sites-available/default files:

PORTS.CONF
    NameVirtualHost *:80 [this line was already here]
    Listen 80 [this line was already here]
    Listen 8080 [I added this line]

Replaced first line of file "<VirtualHost *:80>" with "<VirtualHost *:8080>"

I then restarted Apache2.

Now, when I try to browse to my web page from an external PC via http://<modem IP>:8080 I receive the following message on my browser:

NOT FOUND
    The requested URL / was not found on this server.
    Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at 123.4.567.891 Port 8080

Any idea what I am missing? It seems encouraging that it is maybe finding the server? Are there maybe additional/different entries to be made in other Apache configuration files? Should I have somehow kept both VirtualHost lines in the default file?

Any suggestions/ideas greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Port Forwarding to Apache Web Server

It would be easier if you forward port 8080 back to port 80 on the server. There's no requirement that the same port be used in both places. Some brain-dead routers impose the same-port requirement though.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; February 9th, 2014 at 01:49 AM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

My modem/router seems to maybe allow this (at least I have set up what I believe to do that), however, hasn't helped. In fact, the external browser then seems to not get as far as it does otherwise (ie. doesn't indicate anything about knowing it is a ubuntu server),

Beans

Any other ideas / suggestions for this problem?