Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to play YouTube videos and avoid all the Flash kerfuffle....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How to play YouTube videos and avoid all the Flash kerfuffle....

I may be stating the obvious to many of you here but 4 years into using Ubuntu it has just dawned on me that it is easy to view Youtube videos so they do not check appallingly with Flash; Pepper and other Gnash ....

with terminal

simply

do this:

Code:
    cvlc Your_YouTube_url

and smooth; no checks !

will only play up to 1280x720 but that is quite good [if anyone knows how to go higher 1920x1080 or even 4k please say] i think youtube changed the way it delivers videos [DASH]hence limitation for terminal playback; both mpv and vlc only play the mp4 and do not "see" the DASH

Code:
    Available formats:22    :    mp4    [720x1280]
    18    :    mp4    [360x640]
    43    :    webm    [360x640]
    5    :    flv    [240x400]
    36    :    3gp    [240x320]
    17    :    3gp    [144x176]
    136    :    mp4    [720p] (DASH Video)
    135    :    mp4    [480p] (DASH Video)
    134    :    mp4    [360p] (DASH Video)
    133    :    mp4    [240p] (DASH Video)
    160    :    mp4    [192p] (DASH Video)
    140    :    m4a    [128k] (DASH Audio)
    171    :    webm    [128k] (DASH Audio)

or you can use mpv again easy AND navigation is easier faster

Code:
    mpv Your_YouTube_url

or not as simple [that i know of]

mplayer [requires youtube-dl installed too]

Code:
    mplayer -fs -cookies -cookies-file /tmp/cookie.txt $(youtube-dl -g --cookies /tmp/cookie.txt "Your_YouTube_url")

Again probably obvious to many ... but as i said i for one never thought of it before ::}}
    mpv cvlc mplayer [for me here in order of smoothness]
    Last edited by shantiq; February 11th, 2014 at 08:21 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track [◄►] ● Is there Voodoo in the machine?
    ShanArt Xmms

Beans

Re: How to play YouTube videos and avoid all the Flash kerfuffle....

A smooth and easy way that also works for many flash sites other than Youtube is http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87011 it uses mplayer, mplayer2 or totem as backend.

There is also http://linternamagica.org/ Pros: works for more sites than Viewtube because it uses a different approach by dynamically detecting flash object, so even works for random sites not explicitly supported. cons: may not work for some popular Youtube channels (such as Vevo) because developer doesn't have time to keep up with google's changes (3-5 days) and some webpages may freeze the browser because there are too many flash objects. Since LM loads automatically (viewtube starts only when user clicks 'play') such sites would have to be manually excluded.

mpv doesn't hav a gui that works with a web plugin (gecko-mediaplayer uses gnome-mplayer which can use mplayer or mplayer2) so it won't work with these scripts. In fact I am not sure what to make of mpv. It sounds powerful but the absence of any web plugin and decent gui (Smplayer is not supported) means that I am sticking to mplayer2.I know mplayer2 seems to be dead at the moment, but it will probably work for a long while, when it doesn't I will just switch back to mplayer unless mpv supports web plugin and have a gui as good as Smplayer. While I can do it for debugging, I really hate the idea of playing movies with cryptic terminal commands and having to type in or cut and paste movie file names and paths, it sounds so 1990's and it is a great and sure fire way to keep desktop Linux usage to 1-2%

If you don't need to watch in the browser and only care about Youtube there are also smtube (Smplayer) and minitube, though smtube hasn't been updated for a while and the dev's automatic algorithm to keep up with google's changes seems to be broken.

I heard Vlc also has a Youtube browser addon, but I have never used it.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 12th, 2014 at 12:30 AM.

Beans

The vlc FF addon works pretty good, usually delivers 1280x720 (the rec button is not disabled.

Always found interesting that 720p Yt generally has slightly better audio then the 1080p, (I sometimes remux in that which cannot be mentioned...

(- for local files I only use mpv now which can be 'improved' upon by altering it's .desktop & thru .mpv/config, .mpv/plugin_osc.conf

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

pmsyt

some of you may have seen this elsewhere : pmsyt is one more way to listen and or view YouTube which bypasses Flash

one more reason to install mpv

then try this maybe Peter Hook & The Light - 'Decades' live @ Tele-Club ::]]
    Last edited by shantiq; February 24th, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
    ShanArt Xmms

Beans

shantiq -
    ot for sure but thought I'd mention to you
    Here I have a 1920x1080 screen but when opening smaller vids in an mpv window I like then to be centered
    So just to give an ex. -
    In ~/.mpv/config this will always center an vid
    Code:
    # Write your default config options here!
    geometry=50%:50%
    Also have been fooling around a bit with Osc, I prefer it to only expose on cursor in bottom & be a bit smaller (still experimenting with that...
    This is managed in ~/.mpv/plugin_osc.conf (file needs to be created if not there..

My current -
    Code:
    deadzonesize=1
    valign=1
    scalefullscreen=0.5
    scalewindowed=0.75
    Also to mention I just added a pdf version of the man pages, can be found in /usr/share/doc/mpv
    (some readers require it to be extracted, others don't
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; February 24th, 2014 at 08:41 PM.

Beans

You can also play all Youtube videos with html5 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ube-all-html5/
    But you have to disable flash for it to work.

There are so many solutions for Youtube that flash or no flash is not really an issue, it is the last thing that one should fret about. But Youtube != flash, there are other sites that use flash and especially drm enabled one, there is really no native Linux solution (hal is deprecated and only works with outdated flash if at all), as far as I know the only way that works for such use cases would be a wine hack (pipelight)

P.s Linterna magica has fixed the browser freezing issue. It is highly recommended because it works on many sites besides Youtube.http://linternamagica.org/
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 25th, 2014 at 03:34 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

MB thanx for info... personally i have had poor results with html5 worse than flash for me here ,,, hence really my thread here i have tried them all .... all those browser routes ... pepper gnash etc etc

that is why i favour mpv cvlc route nowadays or even pmsyt [poor man spotify you tube] [i joke you not!]

mpv is the best player i have ever had smooth fast navigation even when streaming .... if others get joy out of browsers and video all the best to them

in 5 years i never have ... but now i do not longer care as the no-browser route is indeed [to me now] excellent ... i put the info out for others who might be in the same boat

PS also thanx mc4man for fine-tuning info on mpv
    Last edited by shantiq; February 25th, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
    ShanArt Xmms

Beans

Sort of related. Manage to get hardware acceleration for flash on this borrowed intel machine following the instructions at
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/09/adobe...-hardware.html (on Nvidia machines hardware acc + flash always crashes but here it is ok)
    But it seems that hardware acceleration only works on Youtube (and it works really well) but not other flash sites.

Also compiled mpv from svn because vaapi doesn't work with mplayer/mplayer2. vlc uses vaapi but not as efficient as mpv (mpv uses ~ 1/2 the cpu as vlc for the same 1920x1080 videos, both with vaapi option on).It's seeking function is also smoother than vlc's. I would prefer a gui like smplayer, but I can live with right clicking.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 25th, 2014 at 12:13 PM.

Beans

I find the 3 (vlc, mplayer,mpv) to be quite similar in cpu use when using accel., slight edge to mplayer, all about 15% of when not.
    This is on a nvidia 660m using Intel 4000 side though the newer the hardware the less or no need for accel for video playback.
    In general I now use mpv for local vids & vlc for online as it almost never fails (404 or whatever

For mpv & vdpau on intel just created a new .desktop as such - pared down the Mimetypes from my 'normal' mpv.desktop
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Name=mpv vdpau
    GenericName=Multimedia player
    Comment=hw decoding thru va_gl
    Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/mpv.png
    TryExec=/usr/bin/mpv
    Exec=env VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl mpv --really-quiet --force-window  --hwdec=vdpau --vo=vdpau  %U
    Categories=AudioVideo;Video;
    MimeType=video/mpeg;video/x-mpeg;video/msvideo;video/quicktime;video/x-anim;video/x-avi;video/x-ms-asf;video/x-ms-wmv;video/x-msvideo;video/x-nsv;video/x-flc;video/x-fli;video/x-flv;video/vnd.rn-realvideo;video/mp4;video/mp4v-es;video/mp2t;video/x-ogm+ogg;application/x-matroska;video/x-matroska;video/webm;application/vnd.rn-realmedia;application/x-shockwave-flash;application/x-extension-mp4;x-content/video-dvd;

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    If you don't need to watch in the browser and only care about Youtube there are also smtube (Smplayer) and minitube, though smtube hasn't been updated for a while and the dev's automatic algorithm to keep up with google's changes seems to be broken.
    Perhaps fixed now, certainly it updated itself and is working nicely today...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast