Thread: New Notebook - Considering Desktop Linux

Beans

New Notebook - Considering Desktop Linux

Hello All...I have been an IT consultant for the past 21 years and work mostly in Windows server environments basically because that is where businesses typically are at the moment and where the dough is. But I also have been working with UNIX and Linux for quite some time starting with SCO Xenix/UNIX and have several customers using Linux as well. But they are all server environments that work fantastic by the way. Anyway, I have a macbook notebook that I purchased in 2006 that is showing it's signs of age. I am really OS agnostic for the most part and the Mac is mostly used for email, internet, remote desktop, etc. Really nothing specific to Mac OSX. I am not a developer. I also have Windows virtualized on the MAC for apps that need it.

The new macs are fine as far as hardware, etc. And if you compare the cost of a comparable build quality of a Windows/linux notebook it is very close in cost. But I have always had a hard time with the entire controlling Apple Ecosystem and lack of control. And, over the past couple years I have been bucking the trend of being controlled by these technology companies. So I do not want to go down the Apple road again even though the building quality is excellent.

Anyway, I have been trying to find the best Linux notebook with the building quality I am looking for. The System76 and those systems are very nice but lack in certain areas for me. So I am looking at the new Lenovo T440S. Basically, I was thinking of getting the touch version of this device (in the event that linux touch gains traction) and wiping it clean and installing Ununtu as the host. The use the Windows 8.1 license to run via a virtual machine under virtual box or the like for those instances that I need to run Windows. Obviously there might be OEM licensing issues doing this with Microsoft running 8.1 under a VM but if I need to dual boot so be it.

Anyway I am not a newbie under Linux. I think I am considering Linux for philosophical reasons and am bored with OSx and not like windows.

Any thoughts on this plan? Any thoughts on the T440s under Ubuntu? I know there are some known issues but I am sure they will be worked out over time and I can deal with that.

Thanks again All
    Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New Notebook - Considering Desktop Linux

Just an aside -- I run Lubuntu-for-PowerPC on an old iBook. Not as a go-to machine, but as a way to keep the unit usable. Might consider that if you want. The install was easy, though it never has detected the onboard wifi. See http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/re...12.04/release/

On your real questions... I have a dual-boot machine, and to me there's a certain security in having full installs. If one OS gets broken, there's another to go to. But with good thumb-drive OSes so easily available now it's really not an issue. Well, it's not much of an issue anyway. Just my preference.

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

I think that you should choose hardware that you like. With your experience I think you will solve the known issues. But there are computers that work well out of the box.

Maybe System76 can build a machine for you replacing a component that you don't like.

Dual boot makes the preinstalled Windows available, but Windows in a virtual machine is certainly a good option too. I assume that you backup your systems, so if one OS gets broken, you can restore it without problems.

Beans

Thank you very much for your replies guys. The System76 units (Clevo) look really nice but one thing I really would like for that price point is a backlit keyboard. I do not want to go to the 17" screen for that. It sounds odd but I do a lot of work late at night and backlit is really nice. If they had that on the Galago I would be there.

Thanks for the feedback.

Take care
    Dave