Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: File sharing among local accounts is not working for me, help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: File sharing among local accounts is not working for me, help!

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Um ... There's a good chance it's just me but I don't think this is a network file sharing question. I think he is trying to created a shared folder that all local users have access to not users across the lan. Or it's a partition that's not automounting and there are concurrent users trying to access it, or .....
    I thought that too, until I realized the post is in the networking sub-forum.
    But, it's probably best to wait for any response from the OP before drawing conclusions on what exactly is going on.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tfrue View Post
    ... I will say that I did fail to mention changing the permissions on the /path/to/share, but other than that, that is what I missed. Perhaps I did give a bad example as you would have to uncomment the share home folder in the smb.conf file, but that open share works.
    Writing to a public forum should make one think of all the possibilities. This isn't like raising your hand in class to answer the question. This stuff is read by the OP and all those that follow. Either you get it ALL right or don't answer the original question. There is no sorta right.
    Another thing you could do rather than call me out, is to post the corrections of the one or two mistakes that I made.
    I would say @Morbius1 has! On both the mental and technical concerns. Both @Morbius1 and I have been contributing to this forum for over 5 years we have seen folks who sorta knew what they were talking about to others that have trouble even understanding the most basic concepts. From my point of view the person who thinks they know everything is the most dangerous, especially when it turns out they only know part of the solution.
    Let me reiterate what I already posted in my first post, one thing I did fail to mention is that I don't know how to use the GUI version of Samba, so I did neglect the OP, but I was giving a generic installation on how to use Samba. Also, if you have been reading all the post that are coming up everywhere you would've noticed that I have stated many times I don't know or understand the GUI version of Samba.
    Well..., then why even attempt to answer the OP's question if you don't know "don't know or understand the GUI version of Samba". Your quote not mine.
    Also, did you notice that bab1 posted the samba usershare information after I posted the generic installation? As I should've mentioned in my first post, I don't know how to use the GUI version of Samba, but I do know how to use the CLI version. I did neglect the OP, and you are right we don't want two shares pointing to the same share so isn't that why we come together to help everyone? The reason I'm here is to help others while learning just as much because I don't know it all and what you did was not beneficial to anyone.
    I responded because your answer was inadequate and not relative to to the OP's question. If you have even been partially correct as a response to the original question I would have let you continue without posting anything.

You're right, but isn't that what this community is here for? I've used Linux for a little over a year now, I certainly don't know everything nor a great deal of things about it, but I'm learning just like everyone else because no one is an expert in every field.
    Don't learn at some forum posters expense and don't hide behind the "community" thing. The community will be better served if you are more complete and accurate with your answers. Say less, learn more. Only speak to what you really understand fully and be damn sure you are complete. If you answers were part of a simple test you would get a D from me.
    Last edited by bab1; February 13th, 2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: typo
    -BAB1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post

Um ... There's a good chance it's just me but I don't think this is a network file sharing question. I think he is trying to create a shared folder that all local users have access to not users across the lan. Or it's a partition that's not automounting and there are concurrent users trying to access it, or .....
    From my point of view the OP was trying to share the folder using Samba usershares. This doesn't mean that this is really best for what he is trying to accomplish. However, even if there is only one machine with multiple users, you certainly can mount a Samba share on one host as both the Samba server and it's client.

At this point we are truly OT. Until we hear from @javierdl we really won't know.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@bab1, I agree, maybe I shouldn't have posted since I don't fully understand the GUI concept; but I'm certainly not hiding behind the "community" thing. I came to this site to give back what I learned through my studies and research.

My goal with responding to this post and any post in this forum is to educate others and help, I neglected the OP and didn't realize it and there are tons of better ways of letting someone know rather than calling them out in such a vague way.

So to really summarize a huge post that I was about to write, I will say thank you @bab1, because what you posted was something I can actually learn from. I will pay better attention to the OP rather than being fixed on a solution. Thanks, again.
    "Ignorance is short-lived, and knowledge is forever."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread has drifted off-topic...
    Anyone notice that the OP hasn't been back?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

First off, sorry I took so long to come back. Secondly thanks a million to all that came to help.

Morbius1,
    "Um ... There's a good chance it's just me but I don't think this is a network file sharing question."
    Sorry I wasn't more accurate with the description of my situation. Correct, I am not connected to other PCs in a LAN, nor I'm interested in sharing across the internet. I'm just trying to share a folder in a separate HDD to a 2nd Ubuntu user with her own account.

Hours ago I replaced the content of smb.conf with

[NewShare]
    comment= My New Share
    path= /media/javierdl/2BackUp
    browseable= yes
    writeable= yes
    guest ok= yes
    read only= no

But I guess either I miss something or it might have conflicted with my sharing it via the GUI too, or both, I don't know, because after rebooting nothing has changed, and now that I went to check the once modified smb.conf file now is back to its original content.
    Should I remove all the sharing I did via the GUI, then modify the smb.conf file again?

JDL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by javierdl View Post
    First off, sorry I took so long to come back. Secondly thanks a million to all that came to help.

Morbius1,

Sorry I wasn't more accurate with the description of my situation. Correct, I am not connected to other PCs in a LAN, nor I'm interested in sharing across the internet. I'm just trying to share a folder in a separate HDD to a 2nd Ubuntu user with her own account.
    If you have only one PC then you don't need Samba. What you do need is a separate directory that both users have access to.
    Hours ago I replaced the content of smb.conf with

[NewShare]
    comment= My New Share
    path= /media/javierdl/2BackUp
    browseable= yes
    writeable= yes
    guest ok= yes
    read only= no
    None of this is needed. In fact you can remove the Samba server from the PC.

But I guess either I miss something or it might have conflicted with my sharing it via the GUI too, or both, I don't know, because after rebooting nothing has changed, and now that I went to check the once modified smb.conf file now is back to its original content.
    Should I remove all the sharing I did via the GUI, then modify the smb.conf file again?

JDL
    Forget about Samba and the smb.conf file.

Where is the data you want to share stored at the present time?
    -BAB1

Beans

I have three other questions if that's ok.

If the folder being shared is at /media/javierdl/2BackUp then that's the problem. You can set "2BackUp" to have permissions of 777 such that everyone and your Uncle Bob will have access but the system uses an ACL ( access control list ) on /media/javierdl that will prevent anyone other that javierdl from getting access to it.

If 2BackUp is the mount point of a partition on this "separate HDD" you referenced it would be better if the partition was mounted one level higher on the hierarchy like /media/2BackUp so my questions are:

(1) Is this an internal HDD or an external ( as in USB ) HDD?
    I really don't like the idea of automounting USB drives in fstab - eventually someone will yank it out without a proper unmount and all h-e-double-toothpick will ensue.

(2) Do you already have an entry in /etc/fstab for this partition? If so post the output of the following command so we can see how it's set up:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    (3) How is it formatted - ext4? ntfs? ....

Oddly enough samba can be used to circumvent this issue by using a "force user" in the share definition but using samba to share a folder on the same machine is too perverse logically - even for me

Beans

Bab1,
    good! That's great news! I suppose I'll have to learn Samba eventually, but for now I have enough just searching for the right video-card drivers while still being a rookie at Linux/Ubuntu.

Morbius1,

(1) It is an internal HDD.

(2) Do you already have an entry in /etc/fstab for this partition?

I don't. I went to that folder and it's empty.

If so post the output of the following command so we can see how it's set up:

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
    UUID=add39c55-b321-4ba7-a1f2-e72956419e89 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
    UUID=658541ef-bf29-463a-b875-4300bcc7c63c none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

(3) How is it formatted -

NTFS

Beans

Then what I would do is the following:

[1] Make a permanent home for this partition to live in:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/BackUp
    [2] Edit fstab as root:
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/fstab
    [3] Use the following template and changing the actual UUID number add it to the end of fstab:
    Code:
    UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/BackUp ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,windows_names 0 0
    To find the correct UUID number for your ntfs partition run the following command:
    Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null
    [4] If the partition is already mounted unmount it:
    Code:
    sudo umount  /media/javierdl/2BackUp
    [5] Then run the following comand to test for errors in fstab and if there are none mount the partition to /media/BackUp:
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    Notes:
    umask=000 will make it accessible to all local users. If you want to make it more restrictive we can do that.
    By addining it to fstab it will always mount to /media/BackUp automatically at boot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast