Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin won't start

Beans

Dolphin won't start

So I installed Lubuntu 13.10 this morning (sounds like a blues song already) on my 1Gb netbook. It's really fast. There's more manual config but I expected that. Had kubuntu 13.10 before, then mint 16 Mate, which is based on 13.10.

Did my mdm5sums, install went quickly and smoothly. It's updated to the teeth.

But I installed my favorite file manager, Dolphin. It won't run. I expected it to start a bit slowly since it installs a bunch of KDE dependencies. But that was more than a half an hour ago.

What gives? Are there any resonably powerful file managers that do run in lubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Dolphin won't start

Of course. PCManFM (which is the default file manager) runs quite well.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans

Of course? OK. I guess I'll get used to it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sayer View Post
    ... But that was more than a half an hour ago.

What gives? Are there any resonably powerful file managers that do run in lubuntu?
    You mean that you waited for 30 minutes for Dolphin to start? Then what happened? You left out that part.

ant2 is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does it start if you try and launch it from a Terminal?

Beans

It never started, and I didn't try calling it from terminal yet. I figured I'd try PCManFM for a few days more before trying anything. I used to use xfce for a time and this is way better than Thunar. I despise Thunar.

I wasn't sitting there chewing my fingernails waiting for it either. I was doing other things on the machine.

But now I can't resist ...

Tried Menu->Run. It worked.

Then I closed it and tried to run it from the menu. Nothing.

Looking at Task Manager, there are a number of kde library modules running (kactivitymanagerd, kded4, kdeinit4, klauncher). No dolphin. It opened from menu->run almost instantly.

Thanks for the responses. Except the 1st one.
    Last edited by Rob Sayer; February 12th, 2014 at 08:24 PM.

Beans

... I despise Thunar.
    Thanks for the responses. Except the 1st one.
    It must be quite amusing to condemn software one is incapable of improving. And Thunar is meant to be a lighter "file manager" and consequently is less feature-full. And that causes you to despise it Fascinating.

Beans

So I tried setting default file manager to dolphin in preferences->default applications for LXsession. This apparently has worked for others. It didn't for me.

However, this brings up another issue. The LXsession default screen does not fit on my 1024X600p netbook. I grabbed a screenshot from a web page and it's missing the bottom line (the one that says widget 1), and it won't resize vertically.

This is more serious, and I'm going to start another thread ...

I can definitely live with the default file mgr until that's solved.

Edit: found a workaround for too big windows that won't resize ... kludgy but it works.

Mind you, this desktop is SO fast on my netbook that I suspect I'll be willing to forgive a few rough edges. I'm surprised ... I've been using ubuntu on my hardware for years and I've never tried LXDE until 2 days ago.
    Last edited by Rob Sayer; February 13th, 2014 at 07:09 PM.

Beans

... The LXsession default screen does not fit on my 1024X600p netbook. I grabbed a screenshot from a web page and it's missing the bottom line (the one that says widget 1), and it won't resize vertically.
    Do you mean the screen in the lower image in this link? In that case, it would be more helpful to refer to it as either lxsession-default-apps or Menu > Preferences > Default applications for LXSession.

Beans

However, this brings up another issue. The LXsession default screen does not fit on my 1024X600p netbook. I grabbed a screenshot from a web page and it's missing the bottom line (the one that says widget 1), and it won't resize vertically.
    Just one of the notorious "minimum-height" windows found here and there. By that I mean it can't be resized to less height (somewhere around 800 px, I think). Ingenious. It's not the only one like that. Solution is to "grab" the window by pressing and holding down the Alt key, and then press and hold down the left click mouse button while positioning the cursor over the window. You can then push the window up to see what lies below.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast