Thread: Please do not close old thread

Beans

Please do not close old thread

Hi all,

It happens from time to time that some old threads are still releavant to some of my current work, or that I have answers to provide to them. I'm sure that I'm not the only one in this case.

Today I decided to speak out because an old thread (2008) has been answered in 2013 and right to the point of solving my problem.
    This one:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=952259

Should it's been closed (I don't know how it could have been answered since it was supposed to be closed but I'm glad it had!), I would have struggled a bit more to solve my problem.
    So please, moderators, let old thread be active for longer than one year, or simply don't close them!

Cheers,

Ludo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Please do not close old thread

From a normal user's perspective, and of one who likes to offer help where possible, I personally think it is much better to post the problem in detail in a new thread. Of course you can provide link to an old thread as reference.

Old threads tend to contain suggestions that may be outdated and no more applicable to current versions of the OS/Software. And if someone posts in such threads, it comes up higher in normal search results.

Now if an inexperienced user searches or browses through the forums, they may not notice the dates (or ignore them because they have no idea about the difference) and may try those 'Outdated' suggestions. This may worsen their problem to a point where reinstalling may be the only way out.

Sure there may be threads that may be relevant for a long time, but the staff (or any kind of 'Experts') may not have the time or expertise to analyse its relevance, and so a general rule of thumb is to simply close it to avoid such Off-the-track or Irrelevant threads.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by LudoTW View Post
    It happens from time to time that some old threads are still releavant to some of my current work, or that I have answers to provide to them.
    But the originator of the thread will probably have found a solution elsewhere or most certainly not be reading your solution.

Quote Originally Posted by LudoTW View Post
    So please, moderators, let old thread be active for longer than one year, or simply don't close them!
    I think the process of closing old threads has been automated now.

I don't see that your plea will change the decision that was made some time ago to close old threads.
    I'm one of several regular contributors to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter but the team always needs help. Why not come and join us?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a problem with people simply calling these old threads.
    We should call them what they really are, which is abandoned threads.

Whether or not there is relevant information that can be added to the thread is something that can be taken up with the forum staff.
    I would assume that you would want to explain why the thread needs to be reopened.
    And how it is beneficial to other users today.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As varun stated the right thing to do is start a new thread and link to the old one if you feel the need too.
    Things change quickly in the software and computer world and an old solution can cause more harm then good, for instance many changes have occurred in ubuntu since 2008.

You can start a thread here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123
    and ask the admins to consider your plea but I think it will remain closed.

The closing of old threads is automated now, so very few actually get closed by staff now.
    Thanks for your understanding.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thank you for pointing out that are still threads open, that should have been closed years ago. As Wild Man said, we have a script that closes threads that haven't had any activity in over a year, it looks like we may have to do a bit of fine tuning.