Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First try at designing a website

Beans

First try at designing a website

Although I have been trolling around the Ubuntu forums for about 8 years now this I believe is my very first post. I am starting a website and basically I am looking for advice. The websites basic need are as follows

• HTML5 and CSS3 only no specific local software on the users computer or device.

• An Open Source framework.

• An Open Source CMS.

• An Open Source PDF, EPUB reader.

• An Open Source CBZ, CBR reader.

• Ability to tag files so that users can search by Author, Title, ISBN, Genre.

• Ability for users to upload files.

• User accounts for users to save preferences suggestions and other information across visits.

I am looking at Symfony and Silverstripe as a framework and CMS. Any other suggestions on what would be better would be extremely appreciated. I am planning on purchasing server space and collecting as many public domain works as I can get my hands on for my users to read anytime anywhere and creating a space for independent authors, and comic book writers to share their works.

Beans

Re: First try at designing a website

So are you committed to PHP on the server side? I'm not sure if ebook, PDF, CBZ, or CBR libraries exist for PHP. That's probably the first point you want to look into before commiting to a server-side language. If you find a language that has libraries for those things, the rest is probably fairly trivial in any language.

If you can't find PHP libraries, Python or Java would be the next place to check.

Beans

Sorry about the late reply I work full-time plus school and thanks for the advice. Do you know any specific libraries which might accommodate my needs?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to General Help.

This is really a support request and you have a better chance of getting advice here. The Cafe is a non-support area.

And welcome, finally, to the forums! There is an 'introduce yourself' thread in Community Discussions somewhere.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; February 12th, 2014 at 08:54 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the move, I will go ahead and introduce myself and I noticed your distro and to you sir I say good job Xubuntu is where I live.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, it's kind of a lie, really. I use minimal installs with xfce4 as the desktop environment with apps added to suit the machines role in life. Not 'off the shelf', although I do have a regular install of Xubuntu around somewhere. The last resort if everything else falls over!

Beans

And the similarities just keep piling up I use xfce4 in about the same way with openbox. Xfce has always been my go to manager I am pretty minimal and so it fits my needs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mattdlyons00 View Post
    Do you know any specific libraries which might accommodate my needs?
    I do not.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    So are you committed to PHP on the server side? I'm not sure if ebook, PDF, CBZ, or CBR libraries exist for PHP. That's probably the first point you want to look into before commiting to a server-side language. If you find a language that has libraries for those things, the rest is probably fairly trivial in any language.

If you can't find PHP libraries, Python or Java would be the next place to check.
    PDF for PHP: http://www.php.net/manual/en/book.pdf.php

CBZ looks like a simple ZIP-compressed collection of images. You could write a PHP routine to unzip the file, then display the images. I don't know how the order is encoded into the file though; you'd have to read the file specification. I did see some websites talking about using Imagemagick to manage CBZ files; the Imagemagick libraries are accessible in PHP via a PEAR class.

And remember that you can run shell commands within PHP, in case there are routines for which you need command-line tools.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Well thank you sensei I will look into those i appreciate the response. If yo dont mind my asking what anime is your avatar from? The animation style looks familiar but I cant quite place it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast