[I'm a complete newbie, not sure where to ask for help. I also posted this question here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2205854]
I decided to install Ubuntu 12.04 or 13.10 onto my laptop EeePC Seashell series. Previously the computer had Windows Starter.
Procedures so far:
- The laptop doesn't have a CD drive, so I loaded an iso image onto a thumbdrive.
- I managed to install Ubuntu on the computer, but unfortunately I then found that the system was dependent on the thumb drive (whenever I removed it the system crashed).
- I tried to follow the instructions on http://askubuntu.com/questions/12549...ive-plugged-in, which are to try: sudo grub-install /dev/sda in the terminal. I couldn't get this to work.
- So I tried to install Ubuntu a second time. This time I started by making a new iso image using the Unetbootin programme.
- Installation this second time (and several subsequent tries) were unsuccessful. After chosing the option to erase the previous Ubuntu and reinstall the system, installation stalls on "Installing the 'grub2' package"
- After several tries, the computer now refuses to accept the thumbdrive as a bootable device.
Any ideas how I can move forward? (I'm using a MacBook Pro and Unetbootin to make the iso image.)
Many thanks for any help you can offer!
Re: Installation problems