Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hackers at Sochi - New Laptop hacked in seconds...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hackers at Sochi - New Laptop hacked in seconds...

Fascinating report here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4731846.html

Interestingly, you can see Kyle Wilhoit, the American security expert, using Ubuntu in the video while monitoring the exploits used to hack the reporter's computer. From what I can tell, there almost is no defense against anyone who logs on in Sochi. Even a live-CD would have to be used carefully and knowledgeably.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Hackers at Sochi - New Laptop hacked, literally, in seconds...

The hacked machines were Macs, too, not Windows devices. I wonder how well a Ubuntu computer would fare if all the recommendations from the UK's CESG were applied.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i do believe he was able to hack into his iphone and mac because he installed the program . I mean this is just pure bulls to scarry people.

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Hackers at Sochi - New Laptop hacked in seconds...

I noticed that he was using Ubuntu on his computer to monitor the computers that where being Hacked. (Around 2:33 in the Video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXihFawHXBk

Screenshot from 2014-02-05 18:37:13.jpg
    Last edited by The Spectre; February 6th, 2014 at 12:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well that video looked like a well balanced piece of journalism with plenty of evidence to back up it's statements.

Beans

Meanwhile in other news, former child actress Mara Wilson joins us to discuss the pressure of growing up on film shoots for Hollywood hits like "Matilda."
    Last edited by dbass81; February 6th, 2014 at 01:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fdrake View Post
    i do believe he was able to hack into his iphone and mac because he installed the program . I mean this is just pure bulls to scarry people.
    and you do believe that -- why?

doesn't sound like you listened very carefully. he said that in the process of searching for information on the sochi olympics, he was hacked into. he didn't "install" a program. rather, as soon as he logged on malware was able to assert enough control that it could download software without his permission. Wilhoit asks him if he notices, not -- did you download? -- but did you notice that your phone is downloading? [Just before the 2 minute mark.]

Many public wifi sites require that you log in via a given website. Such websites can be vectors of attack and apparently are in Russia. This isn't about knowingly downloading and installing software.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Hidden!

The Mac and Lenovo (Windows 7) laptops were out of the box with no security software installed. He monitored the computers from a laptop that had Ubuntu Linux plus additional penteration testing software installed.

If you go on a public wifi network anywhere without using protections or common sence, you will be hacked eventualy.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; February 6th, 2014 at 03:42 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The most crucial piece of information IMO was left out of those reports. Did they connect the cell phones to wifi or a cell network or both? I would expect the wifi to be completely hostile. The cell network? I'd need more details. Are the hackers running rogue cell towers?
    "If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves."
    Douglas Adams

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by The Spectre View Post
    I noticed that he was using Ubuntu on his computer to monitor the computers that where being Hacked. (Around 2:33 in the Video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXihFawHXBk

Screenshot from 2014-02-05 18:37:13.jpg
    Perhaps the most newsworthy tidbit from the screenshot is Wilhoit likes Unity! *gasp*
    "If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves."
    Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast