Thread: A Couple Multimedia Issues (Very New User)

Beans

A Couple Multimedia Issues (Very New User)

Recently installed 12.04 LTS and am in love so far. Only a couple issues that need a fix, and this is the first few.

My videos will not stop clipping. I usually play 720p mkv files, but this even happens with mp4's and other formats. I have tried a couple googled terminal commands, and so far nothing works.

Intel Core i5 2320
    AMD Radeon HD 7350
    8G3 DDR3

I will also say here that I cannot get my default programs to work. For example, I downloaded Audacious for music, but even setting it as default from system settings, it will launch Movie Player (I deleted Rhythmbox). Same for video, VLC does not launch, and movie player does.

Please help me, and look for my threads as I try to get other issues sorted lol.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: A Couple Multimedia Issues (Very New User)

I will also say here that I cannot get my default programs to work. For example, I downloaded Audacious for music, but even setting it as default from system settings, it will launch Movie Player (I deleted Rhythmbox). Same for video, VLC does not launch, and movie player does.

Just right click on a file and choose what you want it to open with.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post

Just right click on a file and choose what you want it to open with.
    That's what I have been doing, but I would rather double-click a file and have the application I want be the one launched.

Beans

There are a variety of methods of changing the defaults, depending on which version of Ubuntu you are running. I would not recommend altering this file directly but I believe all of these methods are manipulating this file: /usr/share/applications/defaults.list , at least under a standard Unity desktop. Just put this in for a little background
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Horne View Post
    That's what I have been doing, but I would rather double-click a file and have the application I want be the one launched.
    Right click the file, choose *Properties* > Open With, choose the program and click "Set as default". You must be just right click and choose "open with".