Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick video editing app?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quick video editing app?

Should it take a couple of hours and use virtually all my resources just to edit a 2 hour video into a half hour clip ? I appreciate video editing does take a lot of processing power, but I would have thought just extracting a clip from a video would be relatively simple as nothing extra has to be rendered, just 75% of the video not rendered, so I would have thought it would effectively copy and paste the section of the video I wanted and take a lot longer.

Am I doing something wrong ? Is there an app that does it quicker ?

edit - sorry, forgot to put in a title, can a mod please edit ?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; February 10th, 2014 at 05:54 AM.
    HP EliteBook 745 G2 AMD A10 Pro-7350B/Radon R6 Graphics/15Gb RAM - Desktop Conversion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Should

Ffmpeg is your friend,,and will only take a few minutes to cut a part out of your video....
    Code:
    ffmpeg -ss 00:00:12.00 -i input.foo -acodec copy -vcodec copy -t 120 output.foo
    I open a terminal in the folder the video is in....Then i use this ffmpeg code to cut and copy part of the video....
    The 12 is how many seconds in to start grabbing the video....The 120 is how many seconds in to stop grabbing video....
    Cheers....
    Deepsky....I woke up one day feeling a little darker than usual....My inevitable midlife search for meaning....http://timcline.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Ok, thanks. you mean that I modify the code depending on where I want it to start and where I want it to stop ?

Looks like it also copies the exact format the original video is in as well from the "acodec copy" and "vcodec copy" bits, thats great as all the apps I ve tried give you loads of options, but none for keeping things the same as in the orignal file
    Last edited by typos1; February 9th, 2014 at 11:44 PM.
    HP EliteBook 745 G2 AMD A10 Pro-7350B/Radon R6 Graphics/15Gb RAM - Desktop Conversion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes....
    You tell it how far into the video to start....And how far into the video to stop....(hours,,minutes,,and seconds in to start)
    Code:
    00:00:12.00
    (how many seconds in to stop)
    Code:
    -t 120
    I usually open the video in vlc and watch the timer to see how many seconds into the video to start grabbing....

You also have to change to your video name your grabbing from....
    Code:
    input.foo
    And to the name you want the video saved as....
    Code:
    output.foo
    Remember to open terminal in the folder the video is in....
    This will simply copy the section of video you want ....
    Last edited by timsdeepsky; February 9th, 2014 at 11:56 PM.
    Deepsky....I woke up one day feeling a little darker than usual....My inevitable midlife search for meaning....http://timcline.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
    Looks like it also copies the exact format the original video is in as well from the "acodec copy" and "vcodec copy" bits, thats great as all the apps I ve tried give you loads of options, but none for keeping things the same as in the orignal file
    Then you perhaps didn't use AviDemux. It offers the option to simply "Copy" both audio and video streams, no transcoding or demuxing/remuxing is done. I use the GTK+ version and works great here.

The same thing can also be done with MKVToolnix (MKVmerge GUI > Global > Enable Splitting), but it doesn't offer a video play/preview, needs the timings to be manually typed (in correct format, for example, 01:24 is correct, 1:24 is not) and the output can only be .mkv (input maybe anything). MKV is just a container, so changing the extension (if the input is other than mkv) doesn't mean it'll be transcoded. It is simply packed into the mkv 'container'.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Title changed. You can edit the thread title yourself for a half hour after the first post by clicking 'Go Advanced'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by timsdeepsky View Post
    Ffmpeg is your friend,,and will only take a few minutes to cut a part out of your video....
    Code:
    ffmpeg -ss 00:00:12.00 -i input.foo -acodec copy -vcodec copy -t 120 output.foo
    I open a terminal in the folder the video is in....Then i use this ffmpeg code to cut and copy part of the video....
    The 12 is how many seconds in to start grabbing the video....The 120 is how many seconds in to stop grabbing video....
    Cheers....
    I get this error when I try and do it:

"No command '-ss' found, did you mean:
    Command 'ass' from package 'irpas' (multiverse)
    Command 'ss' from package 'iproute' (main)
    Command 'gss' from package 'libgss-dev' (universe)
    -ss: command not found"

Used my intiative and did sudo apt-get install for irpass, iproute and libgss-dev.
    irpas installed fine, it said iproute was already the newest version and libgss-dev installed fine.

Tried again and still got the same errors saying the packages werent installed. I did close and re-open the terminal. Do I have to re-boot ?

edit: now it does work without those errors, so teh packages must have installedd ok.

But now I get the error "input.video1.avi: No such file or directory", closed down the terminal and re-=opend again in folder, still get same error.
    Last edited by typos1; February 11th, 2014 at 03:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Quick video editing app?

You do not need
    Code:
    input.video1.avi
    You need
    Code:
    video1.avi
    Let me know how this works....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Great, thanks, I ll give it a go !

Cant use VLC cos it stopped working ages ago - now if I click on "open with VLC" nothing happens, I ve tried uninstalling and re-installing it but still the same, so I ll have to use buggy old UMplayer or buggy old SMplayer !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smplayer has a nice little second timer on bottom right....I use it also....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast