Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Quick video editing app?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Coast UK
    Beans
    514
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Quick video editing app?

    Tried the other link, it worked, then tried the second command, it didnt, so I modified it to relfect the different file I downloaded using your other suggestion. that worked.

    But the "./ffmpeg -i input ... output" lists the libraries, but syays "input: no such file or directory".

    So tried the original link, again the last command gives the same error . . . oh, hold on, the last command is for ffmpeg usage, not to install it etc ? Its an example for use ? think thats its lol.

    So now if I try what timsdeepsky suggested, I still type"ffmpeg" at the begiining ? Or now ./ffmpeg ?
    Last edited by typos1; February 13th, 2014 at 04:04 PM.
    HP DX5150 SFF/AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4200+/ 4Gb RAM/ ASUS EN8400GS Graphics Card (512mb)

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    3,495

    Re: Quick video editing app?

    Quote Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
    So tried the original link, again the last command gives the same error . . . oh, hold on, the last command is for ffmpeg usage, not to install it etc ? Its an example for use ? think thats its lol.
    Yes, it was a simple usage example, but I have the feeling you are executing commands without fully reading the post. You should slow down and read the whole post before attempting any shown commands.

    Quote Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
    So now if I try what timsdeepsky suggested, I still type"ffmpeg" at the begiining ? Or now ./ffmpeg ?
    It depends™. As I mentioned before there are several methods:

    • If you type "ffmpeg", and you have the fake ffmpeg from the repository installed, then this command will use the fake ffmpeg from the repository.
    • If you type "./ffmpeg" in the same directory as your new ffmpeg binary, then your new ffmpeg binary will be used.
    • If you type the full path to your new ffmpeg binary, such as "/home/typos1/ffmpeg" then your new ffmpeg binary will be used.
    • If you moved the ffmpeg binary to a location in your PATH, then typing "ffmpeg" will use your new ffmpeg binary (I gave an example of this earlier in this thread).


    Although I tend to recommend and encourage usage of command line tools, they are not for everyone. Perhaps using avidemux is a better method for you since you mentioned before that it eventually worked for you.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; February 13th, 2014 at 08:10 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Coast UK
    Beans
    514
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Quick video editing app?

    Thanks, I ve used command line many times in the 5 years I ve had ubuntu, I m far from the most proficicent user of it, but I m ok using it thanks.

    I just want to update to the latest version and I had no idea there were so many ways to do it and places to put it, I would have thought updating to the latest version would overwrite any previous version and I ve not heard of or kmowingly installed a fake version.

    I may forget all this in months time and try and use it normally by just typing "ffmpeg".

    So if I search for the original version and replace the folder with the version i just installed, will that give my the normal latest ffmpeg in the normal place on my pc ? I m not use to specifying paths to for software, software centre, synapptic or package installer usually does that for me.
    HP DX5150 SFF/AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4200+/ 4Gb RAM/ ASUS EN8400GS Graphics Card (512mb)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    3,495

    Re: Quick video editing app?

    Quote Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
    I just want to update to the latest version and I had no idea there were so many ways to do it and places to put it, I would have thought updating to the latest version would overwrite any previous version
    You didn't install the binary (not that you need to), so nothing is being replaced.

    Quote Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
    I ve not heard of or kmowingly installed a fake version.
    I believe that is the intention by the fork. See:


    Quote Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
    So if I search for the original version and replace the folder with the version i just installed, will that give my the normal latest ffmpeg in the normal place on my pc ?
    That can potentially break stuff that depends on the repository version.

    Quote Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
    I m not use to specifying paths to for software, software centre, synapptic or package installer usually does that for me.
    The reason I do not recommend performing a standard installation of ffmpeg to the system is because things that depend on ffmpeg will be expecting the version from the repository, and since it is so old this can potentially cause issues since they are looking for a specific version. Not installing the binary that you downloaded allows the other programs to use the old, buggy, Libav fork version from the repository, but also allows you to use a recent, real version of ffmpeg from FFmpeg. So if you want to just type "ffmpeg" and have it use your new ffmpeg, and allow (most) of the repository packages to use the crappy fake ffmpeg, then: make a bin directory in your home directory, move the ffmpeg file into that bin directory, then in Terminal run ". ~/.profile && hash ffmpeg".

    To undo this just move the ffmpeg file out of that same bin directory and in Terminal run ". ~/.profile && hash ffmpeg".

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Coast UK
    Beans
    514
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Quick video editing app?

    Ok, thanks used a combination of Avidemux and /home/typos1/ffmpeg ! Thanks for all your help !
    HP DX5150 SFF/AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4200+/ 4Gb RAM/ ASUS EN8400GS Graphics Card (512mb)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •