Thread: Having great luck with 13.10!

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Having great luck with 13.10!

I have been installing Ubuntu 13.10 for some of my co-workers lately with very good results! After one install and word of mouth recommendations, people have been asking me to install Ubuntu on their computers. I just finished up a Dell computer for a woman I work with in my department. The Dell came with Windows Vista and it was new around 2006 according to the user. The computer was blue screening a lot, so much that I could not really do anything with it.

I installed Ubuntu 13.10, everything worked out of the box and the computer runs fast and smooth. The woman that owns the computer thought that it was time to buy another computer,. The hardware seemed just fine to me though and the machine looks really nice with it's silver front bezel and bright white case. With 13.10 installed the computer seems just as sharp as any expensive Apple product I have ever seen. The Dell is all Intel and I believe it has another good 5 years of life left once 14.04 goes final and is installed on it.

I am amazed at the number of new users that are enjoying the Unity interface! I never imagined people coming up and asking if I would set them up with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Re: Having great luck with 13.10!

Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post
    The Dell is all Intel
    That's why it worked so flawlessly... I have a Dell laptop with Broadcom and ATI chips and it has been a nightmare since the very beginning. Not that I'll quit using Linux or anything but... it's quite a big inconvenience. Well, anyway. I'm happy that' you've got such a good feedback. It's nice to show the people around you that there're alternatives.
    Registered Linux User #534948

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: Having great luck with 13.10!

My main computer has ATI 5775 graphics, the stock open source drivers work great with this particular card. What amazes me is how people that are new to Linux like the Unity interface so much! For all of the complaints about Unity I have read new users seem to adjust to it quick and like it. Something is being done right when people come up and ask for Ubuntu to be installed on their computers! All of this came from one install and the guy spreading the word around the factory!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yeah, the intels have always been very linux friendly...but i understand there were recently massive improvements in the open source amd drivers for linux and that is probably helping a LOT...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

the AMD drivers imrpovements haven't made it into 13.10 yet.

it does feel nice when all is working as it should. you dont' have to touch it after that (especially if you are on LTS)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla