Thread: adblock installed still mozilla is showing up ads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

adblock installed still mozilla is showing up ads

i have already tried adblock plus but it doesn't work either....also please tell me how to revert back to adblock plus coz now it installs but doesn't show up on the top right hand corner
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: adblock installed still mozilla is showing up ads

IIRC Google paid Adblock to show it's adds. See also: https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Look in Adblock's preferences for an opt-out for "limited" ads.

You did configure Adblock when you installed it? A trio of options is offered.

it isn't magic, though, and businesses have an interest in finding ways around it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Adblock changed its filtering engine to allow "acceptable" (that is paid to them) ads. Some people find this annoying. Others claim that it allows non-profits and FOSS websites to earn a living with "acceptable" ads. If your opinion of ads is different then use a fork of Adblock called Adblock Edge (ABE).
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can turn off those "acceptable" ads by deselecting the "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" in AdblockPlus's filter preferences. I do and see no ads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

but i am using same addon on my windows pc on chrome as well as mozilla and i don't get a single ad whereas in mozilla ubuntu i am getting all the ads even after using adblock plus and ticking all the three otions to ON during the installation of this add On

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AbhimanyuAryan View Post
    but i am using same addon on my windows pc on chrome as well as mozilla and i don't get a single ad whereas in mozilla ubuntu i am getting all the ads even after using adblock plus and ticking all the three otions to ON during the installation of this add On
    It's not windows vs ubuntu, it is That version vs This version. Programs, their policies, their settings keep changing.. Just use AdblockEdge as already suggested by tgalati4.

Removing an Addon is as easy as going to Tools > Add-ons > Remove (the unwanted or non-working extension), then reinstalling is as easy as doing a Search > Install in the same tab in FF.

It will be quicker than wasting time on why is the current one is not working as expected, but don't forget to choose a "Default List" IF prompted after installing ABE (or ABP, if you agree with their ethics).
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In addition to the three choices offered during the Adblock install, in Firefox, go to Tools->Add-Ons->Extensions. Select "Preferences" for AdBlock Plus. Select "Filter Preferences". Then, un-select the "Allow some non-intrusive advertising". Note that this option is selected by default.

This has been effective for me. Whether it is completely successful for me or anyone depends on the sites we visit and how successful advertisers are at circumventing the techniques used to block their ads. If someone finds a new away around ad blockers, then we will see those ads until the ad blockers figure out a way to block them.