Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine Sound Problems on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Wine Sound Problems on Ubuntu 12.04

I am no expert on wine, but I read this on Facebook earlier, it has already helped a couple of people and works on 64bit too, so we are sharing it here :

Marvin Mallari posted to Ubuntu 15 hours ago - For people having sound problems with Wine (like sound is garbled, static, non existant) in Ubuntu 12.04 (w/ Unity and Pulse/ALSA) i found a solution. Go to Synaptic Package Manager, install "ia32-libs-multiarch", it will ask to modify or install other packages, install all packages and restart (not log out then log in) Wine should now play audio perfectly and stable. note: i did this on a 32bit comp, for 64bit, there is probably a different package or maybe the package will work because it says "multiarch" i will try on my 64bit machine later. PS i don't have an account on any Wine or Ubuntu fourms so if someone can please share this somewhere that needs it that would be much appreciated!

Marvin Mallari - Ia32 probably isn't the solution but when I read the addition packages synaptic modifies and installs, a couple of them are for pulse so it is probably those packages that fixed it but in any case ia32 installed whatever it needed to work. It also seems like pulse cpu usage has dropped.

Beans

Re: Wine Sound Problems on Ubuntu 12.04

Thank you,Thank you! It worked in Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit.

There is a program I use to play some game demos in wine. Sound was always garbled.. Now clear sound! YESSS!

New Orleans-Proud to Swim Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Re: Wine Sound Problems on Ubuntu 12.04

Thanks for confirming it works for you too and glad it helped!
    Please share...

Thanks to the Forum Moderators for moving this thread to the correct place.

Beans

Just installed it as I have been getting no sound on games in Wine even though the audio test button worked ok.

I now have sound on Sim City, but alas still not solved my lack of audio in lego batman. Still, looks like it fixed something

Beans

At first this did not work for me. However making wine use alsa only solved the problem. As stated in this thread.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/77210...e-to-alsa-only

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I must be a special case, because no matter what solution I stumble across, even this one, my sound problems with WINE will not go away. What really gets to me is that I can't easily revert to a version of WINE with working sound, like I could when the deb archive was still active. I don't care if the WINE devs are busy rebuilding the sound system, not including a tiny patch for pulse audio to hold everyone over in the meantime is a baffling decision at best.

So yeah, this solution did nothing for me, even after logging in/out, reinstalling certain Windows programs and setting sound=ALSA in Winetricks. Please allow me to vent my frustration in a non-violent manner :

Thank you for posting it regardless. I'm glad it's working for some people, just disheartened I can't get WINE to cooperate myself without cringing at the thought of compiling it from source with the pulseaudio patch myself, only to fear that one might go in flames too.

Beans

thank you so much, installing "ia32-libs-multiarch" made sound finally work in PlayOnLinux!!!

Beans

I have opposite problem. I would like to play under wine without hearing a thing. I play PES2011. Recently I switched form Precise to Mint 13 xfce. On old system i was able to turn off sound in game by turning of wine sound source in pulse, but on Mint xfce with brand new wine and playonlinux i can't, because Pulse doesn't show wine sound source at all. Turning off in internal game settings doesn't work either. Any ideas?
    -Computer-
    Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
    Memory : 4050MB (1322MB used)
    Operating System : Linux Mint 13 Maya
    Date/Time : wto, 18 cze 2013, 08:21:19
    -Display-
    Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels
    OpenGL Renderer : GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
    X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
    -Multimedia-
    Audio Adapter : CMI8786 - Xonar DG
    Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can't you just configure Wine to play over the wrong output device like the optical out?

Beans

Wine treaks doesn't work after update. Maybe you can show me where I can find config files. That would be great
    One more thing. It looks like wine take over my whole sound resources. If wine plays, nothing else can.
    Last edited by ubuntownick; June 18th, 2013 at 11:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast