Thread: Any Ubuntu Alternative for d6 communicator?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Any Ubuntu Alternative for d6 communicator?

Hi,

One of the people I have converted to Linux (Xubuntu 12.04.3) did contact me for help/support. The user has kids at school and it seems they're using something called: d6 communicator - http://www.school-communicator.com/index.php

As per the website, there is 'no' version for Linux. I have contacted them to make them know there are many people around the world who are using Linux and they will appreciate if there will be a version that could work in Linux. Just sent them an email a while ago.

Meanwhile, I was wondering if there is an alternative that can be used in Ubuntu (or any of its official variant) for d6 communicator?

Such applications/programs are the real challenge for StartUbuntu Project and my real life side of it to convert my whole neighborhood then the whole city and hopefully the whole country.

While I understand the hardest and toughest challenge so far is iTunes, I don't want to remain helpless for people who have kids at school, still studying. I have graduated 10 years ago so I've been really far from any kind of education programs and stuff like that.

We do have Edubuntu, these and such programs should be available. I have never used Edubutu but lately, I have installed the educational package for one of the people I converted to Linux and it happened he too got Xubuntu 12.04.3 installed.

Sadly, I don't know any member/contributor with Edubutnu as I worked with Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME Communities and as stated, I myself don't use any kind of any educational program.

I highly appreciate your help. Thank you in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Any Ubuntu Alternative for d6 communicator?

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi,

One of the people I have converted to Linux (Xubuntu 12.04.3) did contact me for help/support. The user has kids at school and it seems they're using something called: d6 communicator - http://www.school-communicator.com/index.php

As per the website, there is 'no' version for Linux. I have contacted them to make them know there are many people around the world who are using Linux and they will appreciate if there will be a version that could work in Linux. Just sent them an email a while ago.
    I got a reply from them:

Hi

Unfortunately, there are currently no plans to release a Linux version of the School Communicator. However, some users have reported success running the School Communicator using Wine. For more information, please see http://www.winehq.org

We also have a mobile version of the School Communicator, which provides additional ways to access the content. The address for this mobisite is: http://schoolcommunicator.mobi

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please do not send another email. Instead, reply to this email and we will assist you further.
    That is definitely not the reply I was expecting. Unless those software companies understand Linux is being used world wide by so many users, they will not support Linux. One email is not enough. If many Linux Users will keep sending such emails, one day, that will do something for sure. Just like what the finger of Linus did with Nvidia when they finally did something.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Unless those software companies understand Linux is being used world wide by so many users, they will not support Linux.
    No. it's not. These companies are there to make money - if there was money in it, then they would provide it software for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    No. it's not. These companies are there to make money - if there was money in it, then they would provide it software for Linux.
    I understand but then how exactly Linux Users can use such Software/Services? if neither these greedy companies are willing to help neither FOSS/Linux Communities are willing to do something about it?

I still think (this is my own personal opinion) that if we could make ourselves known to such companies, that might change something just like what happened recently with Nvidia:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/053028.html

http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-m...rce-developers

Yes, it took so long to happen but it happened.

I need to check Wine and see if it does help and will reply their email and make it clear to them that they do need to help further. I have my way and I believe in it. I will never give up

Edit:
    I am still looking for a Linux/Ubuntu Alternative for d6 communicator?!

Edit 2:
    That software is free anyway so what money has to do with this?
    Last edited by amjjawad; February 10th, 2014 at 11:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

That software is free anyway so what money has to do with this?
    Nvidia has been a strong supporter of Linux for a long time -- they're not typical of companies out there faced with developing two versions of software: one for Windows, another for Linux.

The main problem you're up against with software development companies is that they see Linux as a very small percentage of their user base -- by all accounts, probably little more than one percent. They don't see any value in having to double their development costs just to add one percent to their market.

As to Wine, I went ahead and checked the Wine database and that product is NOT listed, meaning, it most likely will NOT work in Wine.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    As to Wine, I went ahead and checked the Wine database and that product is NOT listed, meaning, it most likely will NOT work in Wine.
    It's worth a try in WINE anyway, just to be sure one way or another. Smaller, lesser known programs often don't make it into the database yet work nevertheless.

About their development, I don't know what to say to convince them. The service they appear to offer does not seem complicated so I can't think of any advantages to going to the extra effort of making it locked to a single platform. It could be that their decision is not driven by money.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi and thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    It's worth a try in WINE anyway, just to be sure one way or another. Smaller, lesser known programs often don't make it into the database yet work nevertheless.
    Yes, I will try to do it myself so I can send the steps to the user

About their development, I don't know what to say to convince them. The service they appear to offer does not seem complicated so I can't think of any advantages to going to the extra effort of making it locked to a single platform. It could be that their decision is not driven by money.
    They already offer their service on: Blackberry, iPhone and Android when it comes to Smart Phones.
    And, they offer that on Windows and Mac.

http://www.school-communicator.com/download.php

I personally see no reason why not to offer that on Ubuntu for example.

But, how would they know?
    If almost everyone won't care or won't be loud enough and reach out to all those companies, how would they know Ubuntu is even exist?

Very few active people who are putting sweat, blood and tears to spread the world of Ubuntu and/or FOSS to the whole world won't be enough. I am one of those and I can't make a difference alone. If everyone send one email per month to one software company, I am sure after one year, things will be much different. But when most will not show any interest, won't care or be negative, etc ... well, then don't expect to see much or a progress that is IMHO.

I will try to convince that company to do something further than their earlier suggestion but if I will be the only one who will email them, they won't be convinced.

It makes me so sad and sometimes upset to see some if not most of FOSS people don't really care of being so negative and just give up to the idea that this software is not available for Linux.
    Well, if there is/are Linux Alternatives then really who would care? as long as there are alternatives BUT when there is/are NOT, this is what I am talking about.

To convince someone to leave Windows and/or Mac and use Linux, you should really provide all the alternatives and be ready. If that user told me about that application 'before' I convert her machine to Linux, I would have kept Windows and did a Dual-Boot. But that is not the idle option because she and her kids won't use Linux, they will keep using Windows. To convert someone to Linux, IMHO, Dual-Booting isn't an option but to offer him/her all or most.

Oh well, nothing is perfect.

Edit:
    The user didn't like/accept the fact and didn't wish to wait for any kind of any workaround/solutions and decided to go back to Windows.
    Last edited by amjjawad; April 24th, 2014 at 12:42 PM. Reason: mark as solved with a note