Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paranoid or Under Attack ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Paranoid or Under Attack ?

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    However... most, if not all, of the OP's questions betray a profound ignorance of Unix/Linux.
    +1
    it's not just that it's also the file systems knowledge...

and why Alpine linux as desktop? why the quesiton posted here in Ubuntu forums instead of at Alpine linux support sites?

to check if downloaded iso is good use md5 sum hash or sdh: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

normal download especially ifdoen via wi-fi can get corrupted due to packet loss. to prevent this, it's better to use a torrent download. good luck with your linux experience.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unfortunately we do see a lot of paranoia from new users; they barely know anything about Linux, but they think they've found something "unusual" or "suspicious".

Everything described sounds totally normal to me. The only thing you described I didn't know about was the "gfxpayload" thing. A bit of quick research has shown it's a normal part of GRUB. It's even present on my Linux Mint system. Nothing to worry about. And to get in the mind of a virus writer or attacker, there's no way would they use a word like "payload" in a malicious file.

You just have to accept that you don't know much about Linux, and what's normal. A bit of quick Googling will tell you if you've found anything out of the ordinary. Linux is very, very, INCREDIBLY different to Windows; you can be the world's foremost expert on Windows and still be a complete newb on Linux, that's how different things are.

And remember, if an attacker can put files into your system, then they can also convince the system to ignore those files and not show that any changes have been made.

Just relax a bit. Everything you described is normal, and the chances of you getting any sort of malware infection on a normal desktop system are considerably less than you being involved in a car accident. As for being infected on a default install, it's more likely that you'll be killed by a shark.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by james_smith2 View Post
    is it normal for Lubuntu to grow in size too? It said it was 696mb

but downloade it was 729mb :/
    It didn't grow. The size was just reported by two different techniques in two different environments.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I too think you are being overly paranoid. I don't recognise some of the things you mention, but then I have never even heard of your distro. Other people have pointed out some things that they think are normal.

The extra partition is probably a "hidden" system diagnostics partition. If you can post the output of this command then maybe people will be able to explain more:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    It is normal for every user, including root, to also have a group of the same name. In Ubuntu it's not possible to log in as root though. You have to log in as someone else and use sudo to raise your privilege.

/boot/boot/boot... is probably the /boot directory containing a symbolic link to itself. Not normal in Ubuntu, but I don't know your distro.

Zsh is available on Linux as a userspace program, not as a kernel module as far as I know. So I'm not surprised to hear that there is a command for it in /sbin.

696 vs 729: This is a difference in reporting. 696 Mebibytes (696 MiB) is 729,808,896 bytes (730 MB). 729 Megabytes is of course 729,000,000 bytes.
    Some of you software is reporting file sizes in MebiBytes and incorrectly using the MB symbol for it.

We need more info to sort out your problem with ISO images.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post

The extra partition is probably a "hidden" system diagnostics partition. If you can post the output of this command then maybe people will be able to explain more:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    Could also be a recovery partition for another OS. Those "hidden" partitions are more or less SOP these days. Installing another OS in a dual-boot setup won't remove them. You need to deliberately un-hide and remove it. (In my own experience, at least.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    Alpine's own documentation states that help is scattered across the internet. Since it is a non GNU OS I doubt that any but the old timers on this forum that are experienced with the older tool sets can give assistance with that server. I doubt that it [Alpine] is appropriate for a new user as a desktop. Could be that you can get some assistance on a Slackware or Arch forum. I get the security thing though. It's doubtful that any virus programmer would waste their time on something that retro. I'm betting that it is a screaming machine when working properly.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I'd never heard of "Alpine Linux" but Google says it's another one of those so-called security distros. They seem to have a forum, so these kind of "so-good-I-posted-it-twice" questions might be better adressed there.

However... most, if not all, of the OP's questions betray a profound ignorance of Unix/Linux.

Correct.

Unfortunately I used to hav faith in Windows and my FW, AVs etc etc then my business was held to randsom and destroyed when I didn't pay.

Afterwards I moved to Linux. Setup business and was destroyed again.

I know I'm an idiot - but I had faith in Windows and Kaspersky - then I heard Linux was secure so put faith in that.

HENCE - my paranoia.

Truth is - knowledge is security.

For example - Ubuntu is very very far from secure yet the commen myth is that it is. As standard it requires about 2 hours work and kernal modifications to get to a secure levelwhere its safe to use online. The grub is the well known target. Hackers use all sorts though. SSH-off port tunnels. Malicious bin/bash and Elf binaries. Its hard to keep up with it all at my agge and after having 3 menal breakdowns, losing my job twice etc

Beans

Paranoid or Under Attack ?

I chose alpine because it has GRSECURITY, PAX and buffer overflow security built into the kernal already - unlike ubuntu.

These prevent people taking root control of memory access,acpi and the bios!

I'm sorry for my "ignorance"

I should of been here first. Reading. But like the windows users I fell for the commen myths.

I'm off to the security forum where I belong, as I'm intreted in lubuntu. Its way better IMO. I just need to add a lot of kernal mods and apps - a hardware FW, tripwire and other IDs systems, file size checkers, cloud logging etc etc theres a list of about 20 things I need to secure any home PC in the modern world thats using the internet.

Linux simply allows this, where as windows has so many built in back doors it doesn't stand a chance. Thats why people shouldn't dual boot BTW - now you have 2 unsecured operating systems. Def use a unix varient, then harden it.

Odd.

I used various other Linux environments - the thing is I can md5check but yet Linux comes with a program for altering the MD5.

Mine have always failed too. I've never been able to secure any OS as I have to go online to read about it - as soon as I'm on - Im under attack, even by my own ISP!!!
    Last edited by howefield; February 9th, 2014 at 01:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Very sorry to say this, sir, but you don't need computer help. You are showing some very worrying symptoms of paranoia, and although I hold no medical degrees I think you should consider seeing a professional who can help you deal with personal stress.

You might want to switch off the computer until you have dealt with the stress. After that if you still want help with Ubuntu, I am happy to answer any queries you have. But please see somebody about the stress first.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

This is not sounding like a computing problem.

Thread closed.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12