Thread: Samsung n146 netbook, brightness low

Beans

Samsung n146 netbook, brightness low

Hi! After learning about all the great things about linux, I decided to try it out on my samsung n146 netbook. I could not load from usb, so I just double clicked the installer application in the extracted iso package and ta-da, ubuntu is fired up on my device. But what's this? the brightness is only about half of what it was on windows 7 (and even in windows 7 it wasn't maxed out brightness). And it seems that the slider in the brightness controls on ubuntu is already maxed. I really need a way to increase the brightness so the screen can shine its magic like a normal computer.

Now after hours of searching I found very few people who had the same problem as I, and even fewer helpful instructions on how to solve it. I had such high hopes for Linux. *sigh* Can anyone please help this complete amateur enjoy the fruits of open source development with , (if possible), step by step instructions? Please hold my hand.
    For all of you who seek to help the helpless like me, thank you for your generosity!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Samsung n146 netbook, brightness low

Please begin with stating which versions you have tried.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Well, I have tried the apci_max_brightness command in the terminal. But I don't even know if I did that correctly, because I just received the number "7".
    But I don't understand the question. "Please begin by stating which versions you have tried". By version, do you mean version of ubuntu? If so I installed the latest version of 32 bit. (The long-term one, not the 9-month one)
    Or by version, do you mean "version of solution"? If so, any solution I have tried probably were not done correctly. I am pretty new at this but I can still follow instructions, please help?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I was referring to the version number of Buntu.
    If you have only tried the semi-old 12.04 I suggest a fresh install of 13.10 as a first try.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

That fixed the problem. Thank you so much!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.