Thread: Backup Command in Terminal

Beans

Backup Command in Terminal

The upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10 hosed Unity's lens along with some other UI elements. I'm looking to perform a complete reinstall within the next few days.

In terminal, what is the command to start Ubuntu's GUI default backup program (the one with the picture of the safe)?

TIA,
    -- Michael
    (Recent Windows refugee)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Backup Command in Terminal

I believe the program is deja dup.
    so try
    Code:
    deja-dup
    or run
    Code:
    man deja-dup
    for more options.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Well "upgrade" is always a bad idea judging from the number of threads reporting upgrade problems. There should be a big warning sign against it. I always do fresh install. Much faster and safer.

Since you are doing a clean install, you may as well make a separate /home partition. So next time when you do a clean install of the next Ubuntu release (Don't do "upgrade"!) you just install over the / partition without formatting the /home and all your data and settings will be saved.

Beans

I didn't think that 13.04 to 13.10 would be that great a leap. If upgrades are that problematic, it shouldn't be presented as an option.

I was hoping to back up my current /home directory to my external hard drive, perform a clean install, and then restore the backup.

Is there a way to start the graphical version of Ubuntu's backup program from the command line?

Beans

If you already have a separate /home can just do a clean install on / (and format it) but without formatting /home.

"Upgrade", if it works at all would take a long time. And it only works (theoretically) if you have a very pristine system (no ppas, no third party applications including proprietary drivers) So, one should restore the system to that 'clean state' to even attempt any "upgrade". It is much simpler just to do a clean install.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 6th, 2014 at 03:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    deja-dup-preferences
    should get you the gui.
    Or at least the gui to set where and how to do the backup.
    You should get a backup now button in the lower right corner.
    If you run
    Code:
    deja-dup --backup
    it'll simply backup to whatever the default place is.

Off topic though, I run Release upgrades all the time, with ppas, closed source drivers, and a whole bunch of extra stuff and only problems have only been the length of time it took.
    But that probably has more to do with my preparation for breakage.
    It's an odd cosmic thing.The more you prepare for the worst the less likely it'll come to pass.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

The deja-dup-preferences command works and is exactly what I was looking for. And I'll keep the /home info in mind when I do a clean install.

Thanks to both of you.