Thread: Disable Start-Up Applications

Beans

Disable Start-Up Applications

Hello there,

I followed this tutorial on youtube to disable start-up applications in Ubuntu Sever 13.10. What happened is all unchecked apps are being checked again when I close then open the box! What should I do to keep them unchecked?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Disable Start-Up Applications

Use update-rc.d to manage services. This is the approved way on server platforms.

Beans

Thanks, but this conf is for services, I'm already done with it. Now I locking for disabling unnecessary start-up applications

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry - I wasn't on a system where I could watch the video and guessed what you meant.
    Looks to my like /etc/xdg/autostart/ holds apps that are started per-user when you login.

I would venture a guess that removing them from that directory (make a backup first!) and logging out and back in would have the desired impact. I do not know this will work or not, as I don't run a normal Ubuntu desktop.

The other thing might be to run that check-box app with gksudo before it - the settling seem to be system-wide so elevated privileges are needed. Again, make a backup before trying this stuff.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/69810...p-applications seems to say the same things that youtube video says - I don't see any mention of how to disable the apps, however. Doesn't seem like Canonical meant for anyone to change these things from a GUI.
    Last edited by TheFu; February 5th, 2014 at 05:53 PM.