Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to delta updates?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What happened to delta updates?

With all the updates and upgrades every 6 months, what ever happened to delta patches/upgrades? For those that don't know what I mean - they're patches that update only parts of the code/files that need to be updated.

Example:

I have a 500MB file and a newer version comes out with only 2 lines changed in the code/added/removed/whatever. Instead of downloading that 500MB file again it downloads a delta patch that just updates the file where it needs updated at.

It may not have been Canonical/Ubuntu talking about delta updates, but I thought they were. Smaller downloads for updates and upgrades.
    Where's [slooksterpsv] been? - I had Catastrophic partition alignment failure. I lost 90%+ of my data, and just now got it back fixed and working.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What happened to delta updates?

zsync uses an incremental method to update/upgrade the version being developed

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...2497/downloads

but I don't know any similar method for the released versions of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

It get's talked about now and again, but I've not seen anything for a while though. Doesn't mean it's gone quiet - just that I've not seen it. A search doesn't find much.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is another virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit (vUDS) coming up. If Delta updates are not on the agenda, then we can safely say in answer to your thread title, "Nothing." At least for another six months.

For more than a year now attention has been focused on the Ubuntu Mobile platform. Work is still being done on that but attention is slowly switching to converging the Ubuntu Mobile platform with the Ubuntu Desktop platform. So, attention is elsewhere.

Ubuntu for phones has image updates and not apt-get updates as on the desktop. with phones and tablets there is a need to reduce data download sizes. I wonder if Delta would be a handy technology for image updates. I have seen some speculation that image updates may in future come to the desktop. A lot of things are up for re-evaluation.

We can also keep an eye on the Ubuntu On-Air calendar and if there is a Ubuntu Engineering session we get the opportunity to use IRC to ask questions.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 4th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks grahammechanical
    We can also keep an eye on the Ubuntu On-Air calendar and if there is a Ubuntu Engineering session we get the opportunity to use IRC to ask questions.

Regards.
    For those like me not knowning where the link is
    http://ubuntuonair.com/calendar/
    Last edited by cariboo; February 4th, 2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: changed code tag to quote tag
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one" Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    Thanks grahammechanical
    Code:
    We can also keep an eye on the Ubuntu On-Air calendar and if there is a  Ubuntu Engineering session we get the opportunity to use IRC to ask  questions. 

Regards.
    For those like me not knowning where the link is
    http://ubuntuonair.com/calendar/

ahhhhh .... ok ... thanks lol

I get calendar, click link and get a google map of NA.

it's alright..
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /release/@ 5.06GHz64bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

These Ubuntu On-Air sessions are useful sources of information. From the Horse's mouth, so to speak. Jono Bacon has a regular Q & A session where any question is acceptable except support type questions. This session is held, usually, Tuesdays 1700 UTC. IRC is used to ask questions. Preface the question with QUESTION:

Every week someone will ask when the Ubuntu phone is coming to market and which OEM is bringing it out. So, do not ask that question.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    ahhhhh .... ok ... thanks lol

I get calendar, click link and get a google map of NA.

it's alright..
    Come on Vent your more resourceful than that(kidding)
    Going on now here http://ubuntuonair.com/
    The first link is just the calendar
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one" Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    These Ubuntu On-Air sessions are useful sources of information. From the Horse's mouth, so to speak. Jono Bacon has a regular Q & A session where any question is acceptable except support type questions. This session is held, usually, Tuesdays 1700 UTC. IRC is used to ask questions. Preface the question with QUESTION:

Every week someone will ask when the Ubuntu phone is coming to market and which OEM is bringing it out. So, do not ask that question.

Regards.

Thanks for the info grahamechanical.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /release/@ 5.06GHz64bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast