I have an HP G42. I have Ubuntu 13.10 installed currently, and I think the Kernel version is 15 right now. I recently did some changes to it though. I changed desktop interfaces, from Unity to Gnome. I don't think that was the problem though. I also did some installations for a miner, and I ended up changing some GRUB Loader settings (it was a variable from ' 10 ' to ' "10" '). After that, I didn't restart the machine till the next morning, when the problem came about. The Ubuntu Start Up Screen (with the logo and loading dots) went from 1 straight to 4, then stayed there. It stayed there fore about a half hour before I turned t off. I rebooted, and tried to load the GRUB Loader, but it wouldn't take me to the screen, so I ended up wiping GRUB and reinstalling it.

I booted up again, and the problem still persisted. I turned it off again, and went into Advanced Options. I went to select a kernel, and I came across kernels with "low latency" mixed in with the "generic" one's. I don't remember installing those either, but I went and selected the generic one for 15. I tried connecting to the network, cleaning the disk for space, and repairing any broken packages. None of these worked. I tried it with every other kernel version available. Still nothing.

I also tried inserting the 13.10 installation disk to see if I could repair it from there. It wouldn't let me do that.

I'm currently still not able to use it, and with school assignments coming up, it would be nice to restore it to functionality. If you think you can help me, please do, it would be greatly appreciated. I can also give you more specs on the laptop if needed.