Thread: Upgrading to Lubuntu 13.10 from ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Upgrading to Lubuntu 13.10 from ISO

My system is currently running Lubuntu 12.04 that I have installed from a Live CD. Seems to be working fine. Since it is an older system the BIOS do not include a boot from a USB memory stick. I have found the other treads about using GRUB2 to boot from an ISO file. I have downloaded the ISO for Lubuntu 13.10 and placed it on my hard disk and create the GRUB menu entry.

I can boot in the ISO and it starts to run. The log of activity comes out in text mode. It scrolls by pretty ast but I don't notice any obvious error messages. I think it reaches the point when it wants to switch to graphics mode. My monitor goes blank and I hear several clicks coming from the monitor as it resets. However, the monitor shows a large number of vertical green bars covering the top third of the screen. And that's it . I have to reset the system to continue.

Do I have to tweak the monitor settings in the ISO before booting it? If so where would I find there to do that? Or what else do you suggest?

lspci shows "VGA compatible controller: S3 Graphics Ltd. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]"
    What other info would be helpful?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Upgrading to Lubuntu 13.10 from ISO

Upgrading from 12.04 to 13.10 is a long step and likely to fail.
    I suggest a fresh install using the alternate ISO.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.