Thread: Dropbox daemon install stuck

Beans

Dropbox daemon install stuck

Hi Everyone,

I have been using dropbox for a long time on Ubuntu 12.04, but one day it got stuck syncing so I killed it with pkill (as it stopped responding). Unfortunately I didn't check afterwards if it worked, so I dont know if this has anything to do with my problem.
    When I wanted to use dropbox again (right after startup) I noticed that dropbox wasn't running. Starting it from dash did nothing, so I tried starting from terminal, but that told me that the daemon wasn't installed. I tried installing it with 'dropbox start -i', as suggested. This started downloading and then unpacking, but the unpacking got stuck at 90 some percent. After this I reinstalled dropbox, but the problem remained the same...
    Does anyone know what could the cause be or how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Dávid

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Dropbox daemon install stuck

If all else fails you could delete the (hidden) folders .dropbox and .dropbox-dist from your home directory and try to install dropbox again so it will start with fresh settings files. You can leave the Dropbox folder with all your files in place, the installer will notice it exists.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg
    formerly 'known' as Euroman

Beans

I did that and it solved the installation problem, but now I don't have the little dropbox icon on the menu bar. (Or whatever it is called, where the clock is.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am having a similar issue. (12.04) For a week or so now, every time I turn on my laptop, I am prompted to install dropbox. I click OK, it does it's thing, but never quite seems to 'stick'. My Dropbox folder is still there in Nautilus, but no indicator icon in the top panel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

May be try to unlink the computer from the dropbox website and link it again : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12874649
    Other posts from this thread may help you too.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Is it possible the hard drive is full? Look at the ~/.dropbox/ or whatever folder is used for cache.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Euroman's solution worked for me (reply #2)... deleted the two .hidden folders and re-installed dropbox. Before I did that, I unlinked my laptop via the Dropbox site per Bapoumba's suggestion (reply #5). Not sure if that step was unecessary or not, but that's what I did.

All seems to be working normally again. Thank you for the help.
    -ab

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Glad to see you got it to work, please consider marking your thread as solved : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads
    Cheers
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |