Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skype video calls always crashing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Skype video calls always crashing.

Well that is was fixed it for me, so I guess the root of your issues is different from my own....

Does it give you any errors when it crashes? Are you using a Logitech USB webcam by any chance?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes I am using a logitech usb web cam but it works with cheese and google hang outs (tho i am not really too keen on google hangouts)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am 90% sure this issue is caused by using Skype with a Logitech USB webcam.....Watch the "on" light while on a Skype call, it will blink off and on randomly while on the call and it usually stays off for a longer period of time before Skype crashes.

It did in my case atleast and I don't think both of using a Logitech USB webcam is a coincidence....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the input, I have just reinstalled 12.04 on my spare hdd so I will try skype on that once i have got around to installing it, I am hoping the issue is down to using saucy or trusty on the other hd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well I have installed skype again from the skype website (linux 64 12.04 precise) loaded it through the software centre, got a crash after 3 minutes usage, sent in a crash report to cannonical via the crash popup it seem it's already logged as a bug, cant find the crash report at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ortermagic View Post
    Thanks for the input, I have just reinstalled 12.04 on my spare hdd so I will try skype on that once i have got around to installing it, I am hoping the issue is down to using saucy or trusty on the other hd.
    My theory is the HDD/version of Ubuntu won't matter and your Skype video calls with still crash if using the Logitech USB webcam but try and let us know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Out of curiosity, what inexpensive web cam do you think I should buy?
    Oh I have just found a possible way out of this using this tutorial found on a mint forum, I dont know if it will work but next time I skype my son in Canada will find out

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/219
    Last edited by ortermagic; February 22nd, 2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: added a link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Out of curiosity, what inexpensive web cam do you think I should buy?
    Even after all this...I still normally recommend Logitech. If you want to try another brand, Microsoft actually make decent and cheap webcams (lifecams?) too but no idea if they are supported under Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I went out and bought a new microsoft webcam (life-cam hd 3000) and still no joy. Fed up with it now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I went out and bought a new microsoft webcam (life-cam hd 3000) and still no joy. Fed up with it now.
    Sucks to hear....Do you have the same light problem I described with your Logitech webcam under Ubuntu?

I too got tired pretty quickly of having to boot into Windows 7 just to use Skype.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast