Thread: Ubuntu 13.10 - Installing Latest NVIDIA Drivers

Beans

Ubuntu 13.10 - Installing Latest NVIDIA Drivers

Hello guys,

I am trying to install the latest NVIDIA drivers on Ubuntu 13.10 (I have a GeForce GT 520M card). I have searched a lot but haven't found a working solution yet.

My ultimate goal is to have OpenGL 4.2 support, because it is required for my university graphics course.

I have tried downloading the 331.49 driver (.run format) from the NVIDIA site and installing it, but I get a black screen when trying to log in.
    I tried deleting "xorg.conf" because there wasn't one initially. That still didn't work.
    Then I tried running nvidia-xconfig, which didn't work either.

What is the best way to install the NVIDIA driver? Perhaps through the console?
    Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated. I am starting to get desperate as I have been trying to get it working for weeks.

Thanks,

Mr_Bean

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.10 - Installing Latest NVIDIA Drivers

It is a bad idea to try to install from the .run file from Nvidia site.
    Get rid of every remnant from your blotched install and then isntall it from
    https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

I will give that a try.
    Would I just run sudo apt-get install nvidia-current? Or something more?

Beans

You have to first add the xorg-edger repository to your sources list, then update the sources, upgrade the packages and then install. The package is not called "nvidia-current", but nvidia-graphics-drivers-331

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-graphics-drivers-331 ppa-purge
    All this is easy if you have synpatic
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synpatic
    Then open Settings> Repositories > Other Software
    and add
    ppaorg-edgers/ppa
    close the drop down
    Reload synaptic
    Then you can search for nvidia in quick search and see what packages are available and you don't have to know their exact names like with the commands.

The smiley is actually a colon, somehow it shows up as a smiley.

Warnings:
    1. ppa-purge is installed in case anything goes wrong you can reverse the change.
    2.There was a packaging bug in that when you install nvidia-driver from xorg-edgers it somehow install bumblebee and primus, these are for optimus laptops. If you don't have optimus you will boot into a blackscreen because bumblebee blacklists the nvidia driver, assuming that there is an intel card for fallback. I don't know if that has been fixed or not. So after you install, make sure that bumblebee is not installed and if it is remove it before you run nvidia-xconfig and reboot. synaptic is very handy for this
    3. If everything works, disable the xorg-edgers ppa so that you don't get frequent updates that may be unstable (easy to do in synaptic, go to Settings > Repositories > Other Software and uncheck the box)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 3rd, 2014 at 10:46 AM.

Beans

In all likelihood, this is actually an Optimus setup. See output of lspci:
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i graph
    The best thing to do in that case:
    1. Run the Nvidia .run file again with --uninstall option
    2. Get rid of xorg-edgers (at least for the moment). The 319.xx drivers in the Saucy repo will probably work just fine.
    3. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
    4. Check output of:
    Code:
    optirun glxinfo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My bad, here is one possible solution: http://www.muktware.com/2013/12/inst...us-cards/18271
    Last edited by pbrane; March 3rd, 2014 at 06:39 PM.

Beans

^That's hardly ideal and it's gross violation of Debian policy, even on systems with only Nvidia graphics. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but please don't advise others to do it. If this is an Optimus laptop (all laptops with Nvidia 5xxM and later are Optimus configurations IIRC), you just broke the user's system...

Sorry if that's a bit harsh, but be more careful in the future.